drum tracks

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by muusik, Jan 5, 2005.

1. muusik

muusik New Member

anyone know a way of getting midi drum tracks to sound like a real drumkit in an audio format for backing tracks?
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

You have two main issues to address here.

Firstly, the sounds themselves. Depending on what you are using for sound generation, these can range from naff to excellent. If you have Soundfont capability, you should be able to find what you need here.

Secondly, the 'playing' of the kit. It depends to certain extent on the genre of the music, but most midi drum stuff suffers from being too tight (don't over-quantise) and a lack of dynamics.

This latter is really important. A real drummer is highly unlikely to hit a skin or cymbal at the same place or volume each time and these little changes are what gives dynamics to the overall sound.
  3. polymar79

polymar79 New Member

1- Use high quality soundfonts or (better) dxi\vst instruments

2-Spend your time editing velocity\dinamic settings step by step

3-If you want, I suggest you to divide your drum patterns in 3 or more tracks, so you can work better with the volume of each part
  4. mine

mine New Member

Try "Reason" The sounds are excellent and because you have all the effects in a virtuall rack you can mess until perfect. You can then export as audio at the click of a button.