DX & VST plugins problem Cubase

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by johnrowley, Nov 20, 2003.

1. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Hi everyone, I have a problem with DX and VSt plugins, can I use the various effects like chorus etc in a loop for the midi tracks I have created? At the moment cannot seem to find them in the mixer panel to alter volumes etc, not showing in group output either. Help would be appreciated. I run Cubase 3.7 max 512mb memory on !ghz Pentium 3 and Win 98 SE.
  2. jazzy_jay

jazzy_jay New Member

Hi johnrowley,
    First and foremost you need to be clear that midi and audio are two different things.Now, the DX and VST plugins you are speaking about are all AUDIO plugins.Hence they can never be used with a midi track.
    But dont feel sad, cause you can still use these plug-ins with your midi track.But for that you will have to RECORD your midi track as an audio track.What this means is that you will have to physically connect the output of you synth to your soundcard and record the signal in CUBASE's Audio track then you will be able to use all those DX and VST plugins with this recorded audio track(which essentially is your midi track!).

Hope this Helps,

All the best,
    Jay.
  3. ManE

ManE New Member

Vst - Dx Plugins also work with virtual instruments, so if you are playing your midi track on a soft Synth channell you can apply plugin to that channell and it will work real time....:cool:
  4. Anno_Anubus

Anno_Anubus New Member

Soft synths would alter the sound of the track itself though, so your best bet would be make sure the MIDI track is finalized, then convert it to audio and work with effects from there.

BUt don't worry about plugging in the synth again(if you even used one to begin with) to rerecord it, you can basically use any audio editing program(CuBase ;p) and convert the track via real time playback or conversion utility.