Editing Midfiles

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Jrsnow, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Jrsnow

Jrsnow New Member

2 things I am trying to find out about midfiles

Are is there any way to break down the Drum kits

into individual parts, like bass drum snare etc

to control volumes individually instead of the whole kit

as a single instument?

and also when using the event list, ( cakewalk)

can you easily change ie: snare volume universally

throughout the file without editing each note

Any advice will be welcome

Thanx

Jack
  2. monkey4122

monkey4122 New Member

shorten em too????
  3. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Jrsnow,

Yes, it is possible to split the kit parts out. Most sequencers have a feature called something like "Track->Split". I believe in Cakewalk (my version anyway), you can use "Edit->Select->by Filter" and split channel 10 (Percussion) by individual notes. In other words, select all of a particular note (C0 - bass drum, for example), and paste them into a new track. Once you've done this with all the parts of the kit, you can then edit the various track properties separately. You'll have to delete (or mute) the original track, since it's now split out into several individual tracks. Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions if I haven't made myself clear. :)

ZR
  4. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

I think your problem is you need to be operating in the MATRIX EDIT not the event list.(Its called matrix edit in Logic, dont know about cakewalk)

In the matrix edit you will see a (piano) keyboard on the left. By clicking on different keys you can universally select ALL snare hits, or ALL cymbal hits etc. and control their VELOCITIES rather than in the event list having to do each one.

Changing the VELOCITIES of different parts of the kit is a way of controlling the volumes of the kit, like you're after.e.g run the snare hits at velocity of 127 and cymbals at velocity of 120 To make the snare seem louder.

I do mine like this-

snare and kick= 127
    toms = 120
    cymbals, = 120
    hihats = 115
    open hihats = 110

This works for me but if u experiment u might find something that works better for you.

The velocity tool is represented by a V in the Matrix Edit.
    (127 is the hardest hit u can do, 0 is the quietest)
  5. Stilcrazy

Stilcrazy Just a Regular Midi Guy

I agree with Voice of God ... Velocity is a useful tool when you want to change to control the volume of drums or any other midi sound.

As far as shortening notes most sequencers have this option built in. I find shortening the notes on the drums really helps where the drums seem to be sputtering ... ie notes seem to be skipping.
  6. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Ok, go to this link . Here you will find a freeware programme which I use very often. To select individual drum events select the track and right click and you will see all the events for that track, (this works for every track on the midi.) From there you can select and cut/delete anything you don't want.

As for shortening the track, right click on the area you wish to remove, eg. a fade out, and cut/delete.

You can then select and individual note say a bass note, a snare and cymbal and say a piano chord. Copy and paste these on the same track at the end and you have a nice ending to a previously faded track. It's a great programme for basics but just play with it and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

Let me know how you get on.:thumbsup:
  7. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

I missed the link here Ronny?
    What the name of the proggy? ;)
  8. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

I've said to John about this. People are missing the link easily. Anyway go here http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Jazz_linux/

It's a jazz32 programme. Downloads quickly a easy to operate if you're doing minor tweaks to a midi. :thumbsup:
  9. BrothersGrim

BrothersGrim New Member

Acid loops

If your software will allow you import wav files along side your midi data, you might try adding drum parts that are recorded or sampled. I use some of the crashes and other drum samples from acid Music and import them to my sequencing software. Just copy and paste the crashes where you want them but they sound 10 times better as a digital file then you can get through midi.

You can also add effects, pan and change the tonal qualities. Sorry, I love midi but there is no substitute for the real instrument.
  10. Rankinfile

Rankinfile Guardian Angel

It's this kind of info that makes this such a great forum. I had no idea you could import wav files into your sequencing program and use them side by side with your midi data. I'll have to give this a shot with Cakewalk. Any further tips on using wav in your midi files?
  11. DMXMD

DMXMD New Member

is there a way to make them louder?
  12. jack3643

jack3643 New Member

I'm getting a little sick and tired of submitting a fairly lengthy reply only to get a server error, and now have to retype it..... :-\

Once more:.... A midi file editor started out as a text only creation tool (ie. creating midi music in a text environment). All the other views were created to aid in the encoding of midi information by making it visual and being able to manipulate more than one peice of information at a time.

The event view is capable of doing anything the rest of the software can; it's just easier to do it other ways. The only things I would be worrying about in the event view, are system exclusives, and patch changes.

I generally add a track to the end of a file with nothing but setup information for the instruments I'm using. I setup the patch for each channell, '0' the volume, the reverb, chorus and pitch wheel, the set the volume, reverb and choruse to the levels I want for each instrument..... it's not really necessary, but it sometime is convenient. If you change the instrument in Cakewalks main editing area the sound changes, but if you rewind and start the track from the beginning, it reads the patch change information in that extra track and completely overides the settings in the main window (graphic environment).

Hope this helps (and submits this time :( ). If something sounds interesting, or doesn't make sense, just yell at me and I'll try and explain it better. :D
  13. Rankinfile

Rankinfile Guardian Angel

jack3643--

This makes a lot of sense. I've been finding this out myself thru much trial and error. Can't tell you how many times I've changed the volumes only to rewind and have everything reset on me. What I've found works is just going into the event window and changing the control volume 7 setting to whatever I want. This has been working for me and is relatively easy. Say if you want to increase channel 10 (percussion). First select ch. 10 in the track view, then open up the event window. This then gives you the controllers for just channel 10. Then adjust the volume 7 controller. Again, it's been working so...
  14. Pegasus37

Pegasus37 New Member

How many different MIDI drumkits exist anyways?
  15. mjames788

mjames788 New Member

well the kits are editable so there is no exact number to how many exist. but if you wanted to get a calculator, and figure the combinations, be my guest and post away.
  16. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Here is my list of drum kits. The most common kits are marked with an asterisk.

*000 Standard 1
    001 Standard 2
    002 Dry
    003 Bright
    004 Skim
    005 Slim
    006 Rogue
    007 Hob
    *008 Room
    009 Dark Room
    *016 Power/Rock
    *024 Electronic
    *025 TR-808
    026 Dance 1
    027 Dance 2
    028 Hip Hop
    029 Jungle
    030 TR-909/Apogee
    031 Perigee
    *032 Jazz
    *040 Brush
    *048 Orchestral
    049 Ethnic
    052 Asia
    *056 SFX
    064 Tramp
    065 Amber
    066 Coffin
    *127 CM64/32
  17. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

In Cakewalk you can use something called CAL script to do many things for your drums.

There's one called SPLIT NOTE TO TRACKS which will take all your drum parts and separate them. You will find it in the editing section.

Hope this helps. If you need the CAL Script, I will email it to you if you like.