Enlighten Me, Please (MIDI trouble)

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by imagi, May 3, 2006.

1. imagi

imagi New Member

I got this midi file from wap, downloaded to my phone.

The problem is, this MIDI can be played on my Nokia 6600 and according to Nokia, the phone can support these formats:

- MIDI, audio/midi, *.mid
    - SP-MIDI, audio/sp-midi, *.mid
    - AMR, audio/amr, *.amr
    - AMR-WB, audio/amr-wb, *.awb
    - WAV, audio/x-wav, *.wav
    - RMF, audio/rmf, *.rmf
    - AU, audio/basic, *.au

However, when i backup the file to my PC (the extension is .mid), it can't be played on my player (WMP, winamp, etc). While I don't have any problem playing other MIDI files, is there anyway some sequencers especially ringtone developers create a protective feature where you can't play the MIDI files on PC?

Or is this simply not a MIDI file?

Thanks for your assistance!

Attached Files:

2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Looks like they're using encryption.

<xmrcc:audio/midi>
    cid:forwardlock*nobody@localhostaudio/midiContent
    Name:protected Encryption
    Method:AES128CBC
    Padding=RFC2630
    Plaintextlen=4075
    bytes=0-4095
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  3. Brad729

Brad729 New Member

Midibuddy is a site for midi music enthusiasts, professional sequencers, etc. Not really for cell phone help. Please visit midibuddy's sister-site, www.cellphoneforums.net (there is also a link to the cellphoneforums over on the left sidebar of this site). If you post your problem in the right forum over there, I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. Good luck! :p

EDIT: On second thought, something is wrong with your MIDI file. I can't open it with any of my media players or sequencing software. :(
    Last edited: May 3, 2006
  4. Zandro

Zandro New Member

The problem is the MIDI requires a key, and the cell phone is the only holder of that key. This is a form of encryption the US federal government just recently adopted. Resistance is futile.
  5. imagi

imagi New Member

Thanks for your reply, guys.

Yea, I know it seems like I should ask those guys at cellphoneforums, but since I see lots of hardcore MIDI sequencers here might give it a try to ask you guys here as well :)

Thanks Zandro. I guess you just solved part of my puzzle at the moment :cool: