Evanescence is a copy of Nightwish?

Discussion in 'Artists/Band Discussion' started by hregino, Sep 24, 2004.

1. hregino

hregino New Member

Some peole say it, but what do you think!?

In my opinion they are two tottaly different bands, we can´t say they are copying each other!
  2. amyisnumber1

amyisnumber1 New Member

No way, Nightwish is so opera rock... nothing like Evanescence... Evanescence is way 100% better anyways!
  3. urgettingold

urgettingold New Member

nightwish and evanescence

i think theyre two different bands like nightwish is seriously like opera rock lol. and evanescnce is more grunge and like blazing guitars in the background. Plus amy lees vocal stand out more while nightwish seems to try and blend the vocals together in some parts like a chorus.
  4. Clodia

Clodia New Member

as for me...I think nightwish is much more better. Tarja has a REALLY GREAT voice... and that band is unique, in my opinion. And...their lyrics is much more interesting than Evanescense's. I like both bands, but if we're comparing...
  5. kim_eh

kim_eh Gratified

Never heard Nightwish so I can't say....
  6. wannalala

wannalala New Member

Who is Nightwish?
  7. LordKhabaal

LordKhabaal New Member

Augh....

Evanescance is definately not a Nightwish copy, their styles are completely different and frankly to compare the two is an affront to Nightwish. What they ARE is a (very bad) Lacuna Coil copy with heavily Christian overtones slathered on for good measure, as it were.
  8. the_freak

the_freak New Member

That's the same as anyone who says that Mushroomhead is a copy of Slipknot. They're similar in some ways, but they're still really different.
  9. amyisnumber1

amyisnumber1 New Member

Technically speaking, none of them are "copies" since they are all from different countries and starting points.. face it... if you're from finland you probably didn't know of evanescence... but if you were in finland, you might have known about lacuna coil.. but lacuna coil hasn't been mainstream since 2002 i think it was... maybe even 2003.. neither has evanescence, so neither of them are copycats of eachother (and i LOVE Lacuna Coil and Evanescence and I think that they have completely different sounds.. as with Nightwish who i know very well too =P)

<finn>
  10. urgettingold

urgettingold New Member

didnt mean anything against nightwish i think theyre cool too clodia. and the_freak
    i dont get how mushroom head is a copy of slipknot they sound diff. to me. i think its cause they wear masks too so thats probably why but other bads wears masks.
  11. sillysausage

sillysausage New Member

i think that all three bands are geat and they are all different all they have in common is the whole female singer thing and even the lacuna coil use a mix of male and female so yeh. although i agree that they all started at different times and people in different countries are likely to have heard one before the other but i think they are all unique and make really good music
  12. Vida Eterna

Vida Eterna New Member

I like both bands, but they are totally different. Not only is the singing style different (Tarja's singing being more operatic to Amy Lee's) but the kind of rock they do is also very different.

Nightwish is edging towards more fantasy-rock. I dont know how to describe it but the things they sing about. However, Evanescence focus on more angsty topics such as love, and depression. It's argued that they are a christian band, actually.
  13. amyisnumber1

amyisnumber1 New Member

Ooooh, I wouldnt get into that subject... Just because you believe in christ.. does that make you a christian band? lmao ^^;;;
  14. daniribeiro

daniribeiro New Member

to be honest...

When I first heard and saw Nightwish I thought it was a copy of Evanescence...but now that I'm familiar with both I can say for sure that they are completely different!

Great songs...
  15. Zanarkand

Zanarkand New Member

Musically Nightwish is nothing like Evanescence. Nightwish has a far more complex musical sound compared to Evanescence. This is especially evident in their new album Once. Tuomas actually wrote all the instruments for all the songs on his keyboard and had Pip Williams write it down as sheet music for the Orchestra to use. Amy Lee and Ben Moody my write nice sounding piano pieces such as My Immortal but the intricacies and the sound can't compare to that of Nightwish.
  16. amyisnumber1

amyisnumber1 New Member

Ahh, well of course they are totally different, therefor you can't compare them like THAT

Now, Evanescence has a rock vibe going through them with vocals and all.. Amy Lee and Nightwish BAND = amazing.. I hate the opera stuff though =)
  17. Zanarkand

Zanarkand New Member

the original opera style of tarja i guess is an aquired taste, i still love the old nightwish, but the newer stuff off Once is amazing, especially with Marco singing as well. Tarja also dropped the opera-esque style of singing. Though a lot of people i know don't like the opera-style, the still love the songs Everdream and She Is My Sin.
  18. sillysausage

sillysausage New Member

they are two completely different styles of music but i love them both although i haven't heard some of nightwishes earlier music like i have with evanescence, but if its as good as once i will have to find some more of their music.
  19. theheartless

theheartless New Member

I don't think the two should even be compared.
    Tarja OWNS Amy Lee in terms of singing.

Evanescence is just some random Nu Metal band. Appauling and simple guitar work... Musically they're just nothing good at all. The only redeeming factor is Amy Lee's voice who quite frankly struggles to stay in key in live concerts.

Meanwhile Tarja does it perfectly.

Still, they can't be compared really because as someone said at the start of this topic, they ARE very different.

I think Evanescence are more like Lacuna Coil.
    Who by the way are also better than Evanescence.
  20. HeavensDemon

HeavensDemon New Member

This post is years old, but I'm going to post on it anyway, because I think it's completely NUTS for people to say that Evanescence and Nightwish are even vaguely alike! If someone says that, then they don't have a very good ear for music. And above someone said that Evanescence is like Lacuna Coil. I don't agree with that either. They might do the same kinds of music, to a point, but that's about it. Vocals and instrumentation are completely different. (Sorry, post erked me. :D)