Export XG midi files to QY100

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by bnjiman80, Sep 3, 2003.

1. bnjiman80

bnjiman80 Tangled Up In Blue

Hi

I'm trying to send midi files to my Yamaha QY100 which claims to support GM and SMF+XG.

Using my copy of Powertracks, I can only export to standard midi format. The QY100 demands the files are saved as type 0 midis or it will not load them.

This means the drum channel is ending up not on channel 10, when I play it through the box.

So either...

is there any free software that saves as XG format?

or

can I put in any commands to keep the drums on channel 10?

I'm really new to this, so please keep any replies simple!!
    Thanks alot
    Ben
  2. stevie_bees

stevie_bees New Member

I sometimes have similar problems exporting to my qy70. Would be interested in any replies on this subject. Sorry I can't help, don't seem to have as much time to sequence these days
  3. dj thaoboi

dj thaoboi New Member

yo wassup dis b thaoboi in da hizz house ahha
  4. bnjiman80

QY problems - have learnt some tricks

Hi Steve

I don't know if this will be exactly right for you but I imagine that the functions of the -70 and -100 are pretty similar...

What I have found is you can import your midi to the box. I think you have got this far.

The way to set the voices for each track is to go
    (Song Screen) => put cursor on track to set => menu => edit

you should see a list of events, maybe just notes.

make sure you are at the top and insert a message to tell the box to change voice. I have discovered this is a program change.

to do this hit menu, insert, scroll to note and change it to "PC" using +/- buttons. It should say GrandPno. Move the cursor to PC# and, again using +/- find the voice you want. (You can get a complete voice list from Yamaha, because the XG voices are found by changing the LSB values. example =000 standard piano, 016=piano 2 etc (i made those numbers up).) Anyway for now find your basic voice and hit enter to insert the message. When you rewind and play your voice will be set.

By saving the file as a "Song" this will be remembered. I always do this, I don't know what happens if you save as midi or xg midi. Songs seem to the quickest to load.

Also you can put in volume changes if you want, say, less bass on a track. Repeat the process on the bass track, but scroll to Control Change ("CC") and then to CC # 7 which, as you see, is for volume. Reduce the value from 127 which is max (say to 100), press enter, exit, and see if this is any better.

Another thing I have found is sometimes you can try and load a type 0 standard midi file you have exported from a program, and you get an error when it is loading. The way to get around this is to delete all the events that aren't notes and then add the voice/volume settings when you have the file loaded in the box. Using Powertracks, you can cut a load of tracks to clipboard, and paste only the notes back which is a quick way to do it. Don't know what other software allows this.

If you want to chat about this, or swap files/programs, email me on bnjiman23@hotmail.com

Cheers, good luck! Ben
  5. Nyxan

Nyxan It wont hurt for long Staff Member Moderator

Hey guys I use a QY700 and I edit the same way as bnji explianed.
    the reason it saves the song so fast is because it saves it as a QY file unless you go to the disc screen and save as a midi file.
    In the 700 I can import type "0" and "1" and also save as 0 & 1. I've never used a QY70 or 100 so I'm not sure if the same applyies to either sequencer
  6. bnjiman80

Hi NyXan

On the QY100 (and probably 70) there is only the option to import midi type 0 files...

I was wondering, do you use any of the XG features in your sequences? I mostly use midi files with just a bass/drums/tiny bit of synth/strings, with a live lead guitar (me), rythmn guitar (mate) and vocals (mate).

Also, could you recommend any software for correcting bass notes? I found earlier that, having recorded a couple of bars for a song using the diddy keyboard, and randomising volume and velocity settings, that it is very trick to adjust 'duff' notes using just event time/during. A visual display would be very handy to get an impression of the bass line within the rythmn of the song (i.e. what the bass has done in previous bars).

Finally do you know of any software that can import drum tab sequences? I guess I can knock together reasonable bass score, but I have done one track before using a drum tab and the drum grid editor on Powertrax, and it took two evenings! I spend far too much time messing around compared to practising!

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Ben