Favorite sequencing program?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by tavenger5, Dec 31, 2001.

1. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

What's your favorite sequencing program? Tell us about it!
  2. Ron Roos

Ron Roos New Member

cake

I've been using cakewalk since ver 1.0 in DOS, when I had to use a parallel port midi interface. hehe... so My favorite is Sonar, probably because I'm more familiar with cakewalk products, so it's a lazyness thing. :rolleyes: I also occasionally use Finale, Sibelius, and for the voice-midi feature, Music MasterWorks, when I want to hum a melody line into a sequence and have it convert to midi on the fly (http://musicmasterworks.com). But regarding Sonar... The interface has been MUCH improved from Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.0, and much faster to navigate the track parameters....
    RR
  3. Ramsis007

Ramsis007 New Member

Cakewalk

Cakewalk version 3.0, is the best program to edit
    midifiles without audio.
  4. Phredd

Phredd New Member

Depends on what you are going to do with the files . .

the term "best" sequencer really is subjective and depends on how you intend on using the files after you have sequenced them. There are several good sequencers on the market . .I think as a few mentioned above for the PC, CakeWalk is an excellent choice. It has just about any feature you could imagine. If you are on a Mac, try Emagic products . .MicroLogic is a low cost impressive sequencer and any of their Logic products are excellent. They are also cross platform which is nice.

For single or duo performing acts, I would have to say Logic is the best choice simply due to the use of Touch Tracks where you can assign sequences - or part of sequences to a midi note #. This allows performers to break the typical linear progression of a standard sequence, yet retain all of the necessary accompanyment. For example, you can have the intro on C1, the verson on D1, the chorus on E1, and a break on F1 . .you can switch between them instantly. This is very powerful . .again for performance.

If you are just wanting to sequence to create midi files, check out some shareware before you spend the money. This way you have a feel for what you need.

Hope this helps.

P
  5. DarkSaiyaJin

DarkSaiyaJin New Member

I'm music illiterate... I've used something called LocatorFREE! which edits midis... I can change the instruments and can't work out the other complicated stuff... Is that a sequencer?