FeedBack on this MIDI

Discussion in 'Original Music' started by M.O.T.E., Mar 3, 2003.

1. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Journey

Feedback on this MIDI

Attached Files:

2. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

The Blue Sea

Feedback on this MIDI

Attached Files:

3. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

China Xmas

Feedback on this MIDI

Attached Files:

4. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Sapce Mind 2002

Feedback on this MIDI

Attached Files:

5. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Peace of Xmas

Feedback on this MIDI

Attached Files:

6. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Halloween 2002

Feedback on this MIDI

Attached Files:

7. The Skull

The Skull Power of the Force

Boy you shure do have a lot of MIDI's !
  8. vondownsonfreid

vondownsonfreid New Member

re: Did I Pass You By

i think you have some great ideas, however, in this particular song I felt as though the timing might be a bit better. The music seemed to have urgency to it in it's emotional state but I'm referring to cadence.
    That's my only critique. I enjoyed the way it made me feel because music should reveal emotions.

Keep it up,

downsie
  9. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Warning: These are train-of-thought critiques that I might abandon on a second listen - but there're SO many to listen to!! This means... I won't pull punches and I won't edit myself... understand though... if it weren't well worth the listen I wouldn't comment!

'riptail'.... surreal..... Wish MIDI came in surround sound! cowbelly sound too punctuated in beginning... not sure I love trombone/brass?? timbre at 3 minute mark.... Love the drum motif.... love the grow/fade..... I don't think it sounds disturbed at all... that's some nice music! Two thumbs Up from the Turnip!

aboysdream... the opening is cute... but a bit cliche.... swells in 1st min could need to be more gradual so as not to distract from other voices... same in solo strings at 2:20 and 3:20 and a few other spots.... not a standalone piece... perhaps a middle movement with more structured movements on either side? Waxes long around 5 minutes... I want to hear where its going by now.... trills around 5:40 not pretty in that nasal voice.... something gentler maybe? Might lose effect everywhere else..... 7:12 overswell.... Sounds like an epic improv..... Improv loses its appeal when its not contrasted by structure...

Childrenatwar..... turn down the drums at beginning.... balance.... Minimalist piece almost.... hmmmmm.... liking this so far..... B section (2:10ish)....I'd almost like complete silence after those orchestra hits - even 1 lost beat.... perc ostinato has merit though 3's in cymbal 4's overall, neat effect once the mind stops balking.... 3:30 electronic voice that's added (not using sequencing program to listen, DUH!) is too much... nice woodwindy stuff around 4:30..... big bad NO to the ending.... perhaps reprise your A melody for a classic ternary form?? sounds less-than-incomplete.... ill planned even... Beginning was very fun to listen to!

Okay.... More later, its bedtime! You REALLY have some interesting stuff here! Riptail is my reigning fave for the moment. perhaps that's why you posted it first? I find myself wanting to know more about the mind the conceived the music.....

Welllll... I do edit myself for obvious misspellings.... yeesh!
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  10. robbmiller

robbmiller New Member

Are you using a sound module?
  11. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

This has go to be the best of all the comments i've ever gotton. every you say is right. there is a lot of editing to be done. and much of the works are impov. but there is more to come, that is more stucture and planing, most of the music is 1 month to 2 years old. I just strated MIDI almost 2 years ago. and yes MIDI does come in surround sound! If you convert it Wave or MP3. Hit my website and you will be takin there. Riptrail, EXP, and Walk of the grave are all Surreal i guess, thank you very much for the comments. :thumbsup:
  12. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Re: re: Did I Pass You By

Thanks and i really enjoy the comments. It help to find my derection of what my music is, and where it think it would like to go. if you like emotions try the Battle of Fleetzan. or Sadder.
  13. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

no....:rolleyes: what that?
  14. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

yes and more to come.
  15. The Skull

The Skull Power of the Force

I like the Fleetzan song, Riptrail, and a few more, hav'nt heard them all yet , but they are quite someting.
  16. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Here's a first go. I intended to listen to all and make comments accordingly, but got busy at work today, so I'll just post what I've got so far:

Firstly, let me say your sequences seem quite well-constructed, with some attention paid to production values. My comments come from the point of view primarily of composition, and secondarily of sequencing. (And I'm sure I've got more to make, but will refrain for the present in the interest of temporal expediency ;)).

RipTrail: Very nice ambient piece. The primitive percussion sounds and flutes bring the piece a little bit of savagery and primality that is satisfying in fulfilling a unity of expression. I like the swelling strings and brass; they seem almost to be contending for something more peaceful. This is very good sequencing: dramatic and artistic. This is my favorite so far, also.

A Boy's Dream: Interesting imagery at the beginning and end. :) This seems to be a somewhat free-form improvisation over an orchestral background. Also nice ambient music. The modal melodies lend the piece a feeling of yearning, which seems quaintly appropriate. I'm not sure I completely buy into the total improvisatory nature of the piece; its structure seems on the weak side to me. I'm guessing that's intentional on your part. :) Also, the length is daunting considering the relative lack of structure, but again it makes for pleasant background music.

Children At War: More slightly improvisational modal melodies built over an ostinato, almost passacaglia-like figure. I'm not sure exactly how the music evokes the imagery implied by the title, but the music is fairly coherent, if a bit rambling. This piece honestly reminds me of MIDI game music from the early 90's, like Doom, Hexen, or Shadowcaster.

Did I Pass You By: Cello and Pan Flute play improvisitory melodies above a string basis of pulsing chords. This is almost minimalist in tone, resembling slightly the feel of a Philip Glass piece. I like the touch of the harp, but it's almost too inaudible. I also like your fairly fresh use of percussion sounds that complement the feel of your pieces.

Fleetzan: The F Horn beginning is nice - strange sounding, but suitable. I especially like the polysynth featured in the first and second middle sections of the piece. The broken solo lines are effective with their striking intervals.

Nice work indeed, Music!

I'll have more comments on the other sequences as time permits, and will be glad to elucidate the above comments if you like.

BTW, Jeanie, thanks for the recommendation - this is a fun thread.
  17. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I realize on rereading this comment that it sounds self-contradictory. What I mean is that the piece has a coherent sound, but its direction seems rambling. Pardon my lexical precision, but it's a fetish of mine. :)
  18. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

ZelRiptha and others
    Thanks very much for your insight. What is really amazing is how most people see through the music and describe some of my most inner feelings, and what I also wanted to portray in the music. But your comments, by far have the deepest insight I have read to date. Fleetzan was one of my first Midi’s and I am going to do a third rewrite of the peace. I think it needs a little more polysynthetic sound, and fix a lot more of the volume, expressions, panning, and lead notes. I will post it here when it’s done. Yes I would love for you to elucidate more if you have the time. Comments like this are extremely valuable to all artists, Midi and other wise. Glad people like you are around, all of you. I also like to Critique Midi’s for other, because I know that input is important to an artist development. It’s kind of like having 100's of music teachers at the same time. Midi is still very new to me, I have learned a lot in the pass two years. And today I’ve learned something from ZelRiptha (and others) … music can speak words without saying them. It can be used as a language. looking forward to more of your insights.
    Thanks all of you
    Music on the Edge

P.S. too bad I didn’t have more MB bucks, other wise I would share some. Well some to in the future when I become an MB thousand ire:thumbsup:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2003
  19. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

More from earlier......

didipassyouby:
    uncomfortable with seeming lack of tempo in beginning..... woodblock motif in and out - kinda like it, just when you realize its gone missing 'clip clop'.... like the "So-Fa-Mi-Fa" motive throughout.... incredible ideas.... again lacking some form that would make them more mainstreamable.... if its not your goal no biggie, but something to consider.... gives the feel of many distractions - hence the title? Solo cello on ending nice.... descending scale at 2:30ish anticlimatic...

fleetzanb
    Teach me Teach me! I wanna know how to pan drums on one channel like that!! ;) French Horn in opening is SO forceful that I notice its loss soon after.....descending scale at 3:00 too long, gets old.... movie soundtrack music... maybe too many moods for a non-narrative piece... about half that many themes (but make two pieces 'cause they're all good ;)) and repeated sections after contrasts make for 'easier' listening... wanted it to end at with a major chord resolving from the 6:30 mark....d@mn happy ending gets me every time

fromtheheart
    feels improvised again.... discernable form lacking... (forgive me, I like form in music).... meditation musicmaybe, it drifts......

sadder
    you enjoy the multiplemeter feels (violin vs. pad)..... so do I in this case.. like pizzi string echo of horn.... don't like that it acts independently of horn at 1:45, decreases its effect..... brass motive could use less reps before 2:30... miss pad in ending perhaps leave it in but relegate it to following meter?

Better submit before I accidentally delete all of this... more shall follow :)
  20. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Teach me Teach me! I wanna know how to pan drums on one channel like that!!

Cakewalk! Cakewalk! it's easy if you have the tools. Music creator 2003 is about $40.00US Sonar$650.00CND MC 2003 only shows one window at a time. but it's the best value for your money.