FeedBack on this MIDI

Discussion in 'Original Music' started by M.O.T.E., Mar 3, 2003.

1. Snowdragon

Snowdragon New Member

I was going to review all of them in the order you posted, then I decided to do them in whatever order came up in my program (alphabetically)... which might be the same (at times), maybe not. Eventually i'lll get to all of them. though I did the first one you posted first. There are sort of "as they come" comments, but some I went back and added to by the end of the piece or as I looked over the music in Noteworthy (my midi program)

Riptrail - very eerie, futuristic. liked orchestra/brass chord hits that occured at the begining and end of the piece. Bell motif fit in well, I liked the sounds created by the bells. I didnt like the (according to my computer) Cello part starting at 1:20... I liked the part, but (much as I love cello) I think that the melody would be better suited to a woodwind...it grew on my as the piece progressed, but initially I thought that the string sound clashed too much with the flow of the piece. I liked the use of the pan flute, great sound for the piece; it added to the "eerie" nature. I like some of the motifs used, especally in the higher register such as at 2:00. Overall, very awesome composition job!

aboysdream-too disjuncted at beginning, dont relaly know what effect you were going for, it didnt suit me. many times melody in flute at begining was way too busy. Simplify it and it will have a better, more emotional effect. liked brass at 1:40. pizzicato strings awesome effect throughout piece. 1:49 the initial transition to the violin melody was almost too sudden and I would have started it by blending with a woodwind like the clarinet to make the transition less sudden between two types of instruments. 2:35 liked the pizz. ritardando effect through rhythmic lengthening of notes. melody could be brought out more at times. balance a little off sometimes. 4:10 didnt like busy flute party, needed simplification. 4:55 transition violin-> flute too empty, keep more harmony in the background, it "felt" like a section forgot to play :) 5:50 melody seems to be taking up space rather than furthing melodic development..it sticks out becusae it is so out of place among the over melodic and harmonic movement of the piece. 6:10 few measures of fast melody seemed out of place. 7:28 fast melody movement stood out. 7:35-7:50 increasing intervals need more melodic interest, either through more interesting rhythms or though harmonic counterpoint. 8:57 I didnt like the minor second, dissonance is out of place. 9:215 - 9:25 too empty with not enough melodic interesting. keep up the harmonic accompaniment or add some counterpoint. interesting applause effect at end. Overall I liked it, some great melodic moments and awesome harmonies at times. I dont know what style you try to write it, its great through. Its like a constant dance between major, minor, and modal music. I like ^_^

childrenatwar- i LOVE the rhythmic setup for the piece, especally when the original harmonic elements are repeated doubletime. Melody started a bit too fast, work into it with same melody, just more pauses and build into the full melody. i'd want more harmony during original occurances of the melody, some 4th and 5th harmonization (is that a word?). 2:00 like the motif with temelo strings. 2:25 awesome chord movement, would like more reccurance of strong power chords, seemed angry/more emotional. 3:00(appx) need more heavy orchestra hits thorugh 3:10, seemed a bit empty. 3:23 love the chord use! 3:33 good return to motif 4:20 need movement in melody with chords and counter point, climatic part of piece, and seemed to die out a bit there. 4:35 has awesome movement between the voices and rhythmically. The ending seemed a bit too abrubt and anticlimactic. Seemed to end right at the height of the piece. I would have returned to the first melody and closed with it to wrap it up, the end was just sort of like "oh... you mean its over?" It didnt have enough closure for what was a really awesome piece.

I'll listen to more later tonight (err...morning) or tomorrow (later today for me, actually). My hand is starting to hurt from taking notes :) I hope my comments are helpful!
  2. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Snowdragon -- Thanks for your comments all responed later..
  3. chapmanj

chapmanj New Member

Tone down the drums and I think its set!
  4. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Become a MIDI review!

The idea here a Pixel Arts is to recruit as many reviewers as possible, so that each review would only need to review one Category, thus fewer songs to review. The goal is to give reviews less work, so that they could give better reviews, hopefully giving the participants the best possible review of there work with quality. We really do want to raise the standard. But it seems hard to get people to review. It really is not that much work , what is harder is choosing which of all the wonderful songs is better. That is a challenge in its self. Having the ability to be unbiased is also a challenge, but if you can be unbiased then you will be a great reviewer. Personal I think musically train people tent to be a little bias because they are looking at a lot more detail in the musical structure, and expect a lot more, which can be good. But we need some reviewers with just a good ear, and are unbiased. There is lots of reading you can do on how to review on “Essays” page at Pixel Arts. You don’t have to be a musician to review. But it would be nice to have a good sound card. (Like SBlive) The More reviews we have the fairer the contest becomes as well. It’s kind of like the old say “the more the merry”. And don’t think that contestants are going to question your reviews and call you names, and give you a hard time, because they are going to. It’s part of the job of being a reviewer. But at the same time they also thank you with undying gratitude, for being able to see, feel, and touch their music. You may also find that you will become more intent on hearing the music, you will find yourself playing the same song over and over to gain more insight into the musical work that you are reviewing. You will discover things about reviewing a musical piece that you never thought possible. You will find common ground in all the styles of music that are presented at Pixel Arts. You will also find feeling in the music you may have never seen before. Each time you review you will want to do more, and if becomes a burden, all you need to do is say to your self “I’m not going to review this month”. But you won’t be able to stop! Because it’s an honor to review. So if you sign up Good luck with all that you do.

It’s a brave thing we do to review, late into the night.
    It’s a brave thing we say, when we think we are right.
    It’s a brave thing to able to review..

http://midi-contest.com/reviewer_application.htm
  5. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

sort of did that here http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/396/ike_lofft.html

but MIDI is a lot differant I like it for it's perssion quaity, and i've given up writing folk songs for a while. i mite do one or two more albums with vocals, but i would what to kill to many poeple. i not getting younger you know. So ill keep writing MIDI cause it's fun.
  6. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Thanks , any words on what you like most about them?
  7. azvato

azvato New Member

poly

:thumbsup: Great site bro-keep up the good work!!!!

Alratos:thumbsup:
  8. Lorence

Lorence New Member

I heard the midi riptail, it sounds good, like a triumph march for me... some sounds do not really work propertly with my keyboard, but I suposse is a thing of configuration. I started to read midis three days ago.. ;P

Congratulations.
  9. Felida

Felida Sex Kitten

Last edited: Jul 22, 2003
  10. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

riptrail.mid is a really good oriental eastern flavour to it. This reminds me of some of the kung fu type films with the hero on a journey across the vast landscape. Very well put together with lots of different midi voices which keeps the interest. It seems to swirl.
  11. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Aboysdreamb.mid I was not as keen on like the riptrail.mid. It seemed a bit disjointed to me and I could not really get into the music.
  12. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

childrenatwar.mid really grabbed my attention with the driving triangle and incessant beat which acts as a good backdrop to the cello/strings, the addition of the xylo adds some depth. This one seems to grow on you. I like this one.
  13. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

didipassyouby.mid was not my scene. It did not do anything for me.
  14. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

fleetzanb.mid reminds me of some film music, almost eastern oriental or roman content. Could almost be an RPG game music.
  15. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

nostradamus.mid is very atomspheric, a lot of your midi files seem to be quite heavily influenced by the Orient.

the dark sun is definitely a film track for a deeply philosophical/supernatural feature on the Spanish Inquisition, it reminds me of the film Revelation
  16. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

journey.mid is really good incidental music! Camels across the desert, music portrays their swaying, warrior type nomads. Nice to hear so really good music in midi, it is inspiring me. Must go as I have some compostion to do! I may be some time. Will check the other midi files very shortly.
  17. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

fromthe heart.mid and sadder.mid seemed to me a bit sombre and did not seem to go anywhere.

Walkofthe grave sounds very in game music. It is very atmospheric with the bells and spooky cellos.
  18. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

theothersideofspace1/2.mid is very atmospheric. This could be interesting incidental music for films etc. The sound seems to be like droplets of water and getting louder. This was good.

walkinthepark.mid is a soundscape, like the stereo spread but the low cello sounds seem to be a bit overused in a few of the recent midi files. Can get a bit to same sounding instruments.
  19. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

whalecall.mid di not seem to do anything for me
    mortal.mid was superb, could be the opening of a tense action thriller with a knock on the door and helicopter in the air. Excellent tension generated by the low single note piano.
  20. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

usatears.mid was heavy with emotion, very evocative. I liked it.

x2 seemed more incidental music again, quite mysterious, and a busy piece. Reminds me of lots of undercurrents running together in a supernatural mystery.