Firefox!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by CyberCat, Oct 31, 2004.

1. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Just in case you haven't ever heard of this browser, I would recommened giving it try. :thumbsup:

I've been using it for about 6 months and I really like it's handy popup blocker, and ad-blocking features.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox

Plus it's free :D
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  2. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

UPDATE! The stable 1.0 release is now avalible for download from the web site, I recommened at least giving it a try.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Free Download

Enjoy :thumbsup:
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2004
  3. steveharris

steveharris New Member

trying this now seems good to me
  4. deadboy

deadboy Member

yeah you cant go wrong with firefox... ive been using various flavors of mozilla now for about 2 years ... i'll never go back to IE
  5. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

I'm glad to hear it guys! :thumbsup:

Yeah, Firefox is a great browser, once you get used to it, you never want to go back! :D
  6. Link_skyrim

Link_skyrim New Member

mozilla ROX MY SOX
    WooT WooT
  7. MarkB

MarkB New Member

I use Mozilla on my Linux partition! And a bit on My Xp! Still on V.8 tho! Need an update!
  8. knitoe

knitoe New Member

ive tried firefox briefly, it seems very solid. but i have gotten so accustomed to microshaft's internet exwhorer that i find myself using that still =((((*
  9. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Maybe you should replace the shortcuts to IE with shorcuts to Firefox! That's what I did when I was having the same problem. :D
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Yep, I had the same problem too. I had a couple months to completely settle in. You should try the Adblock plugin for a few days, and see if you'll ever open IE again!
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  11. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Yeah, that ad-block extension is actually one of the reasons that made me switch. Once you've got it setup right (which is not hard) you'll never have to look at ads one those sites again. (almost) :D
  12. TOP_ACTION

TOP_ACTION New Member

I sue this browser on my box and its super !
  13. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Did you mean "use", and not "sue"? :rolleyes:

... :laugh: ... :p
  14. Mike2490

Mike2490 New Member

Yeah, I use Firefox, as well. I adore it. I can't wait until it has some sort of. Active X support, then i'd NEVER need to use IE (Coincidentially, IE is the exact sound of diisgust I utter when I have to open up that browser. . .lol).
  15. JIM_BOB7813

JIM_BOB7813 New Member

16. chemiux

chemiux New Member

I have already tried firefox.. but i feel it a bit slower than IE. besides a belive that its security in the short future will be in more danger than IE since its code is open. there are potentially more ways to get spam, spyware and so on
  17. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

:jawdrop: how can you say that???

I used to use IE all the time, but now that I've been using Firefox for a while, when ever I have to use IE, I realize just how much slower it is! Just loading Google takes about 6-8 seconds, in Firefox it only takes 1 or less.
  18. Zandro

Zandro New Member

There is little chance you are right about that. It sounds as if you're having the case of paranoia many dedicated Micro$oft users feel when they are exposed to Linux product the very first time.
  19. hiho

hiho New Member

chemiux,

i think you have the open-source idea backwards. when you have a zillion good guys making sure the code is rock-solid, there's less chance for a bad guy to do anything. the good guys make sure there's nothing to exploit.

it's kind of like having a bunch of your best friends watching your back all the time.
  20. cpilot

cpilot New Member

To second some things which have been said on the security front...

As others have pointed out, with open source, there are at least as many "good guys" trying to protect us as there may be "bad guys" trying to get us. With "traditional" software, you put your trust fully in a corporate machine. Why am I not convinced that Microsoft execs lie awake at night worrying about the security of my PC?

If the number-of-eyes-on-the-code angle doesn't convince you, look at the numbers argument. Viruses for the Mac have traditionally been less common just because there are fewer people to annoy. If a browser is going to be exploited, it's most likely to be the one which is most used.

As a final thought, you may remember that last summer the US Dept. of Homeland Security suggested dumping Explorer as too insecure. (The more I think about it, the more I think this one cuts both ways. Oh, well.)

I think that Firefox is the way to go.