First Midi's?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Galatea, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Dharma Bomb

Dharma Bomb New Member

I started when I first figured out the internet, downloading Beatles music to play in the background for when I was waiting to connect to AOL at 12.8 kb/s.
  2. MIDImafia

MIDImafia New Member

i started when i wanted to make ringtones for my phones, and when i wanted to learn about production. it helps alot.
  3. Rankinfile

Rankinfile Guardian Angel

C'mon RocheMoth, it's not that hard to make five intelligent posts. Er, well... let's just make that five posts:)
  4. aka_sparks

aka_sparks New Member

I'm new to the phenomenon. But it seems to be a loverly thing so I'll no doubt stick around. :)
  5. nienie

nienie New Member

I started in 1997 or 1998. I asked my parents for software to write sheet music myself, a 'notes program'. I knew it existed, but I didn't know anything about MIDI's and how it worked. I got Music Write Plus (Voyetra) and I was really happy with it, though it was lots of hand work to create sheet music. When I look at it now, it's a stupid simple program. But it was the only thing I had, and we didn't have cable Internet by then, so I wasn't allowed to search all over the Internet to find out more. After a few years (when we had cable Internet) I found Encore and this was so much better than Music Write Plus, that I was even happier. But Encore didn't work at Windows 2000, so when I got a new computer I had to change program again. Now I use Midinotate and Sibelius and these are so much better than the programs I used before. I know a lot more about MIDI's and sequencing now.

I read some messages above, people knew MIDI's already in the 80's! [:O] I used to have a DOS computer a very long time ago, and it contains peeps with the games (for example Mother Geese, with a lot of songs based on peeps). Does somebody know if these were the 'old' MIDI's?
  6. cake-raider

cake-raider New Member

jeez it must have been 3 years now when i first bought Digital orchestrator (voyetra) and muck with patch changing and stuff. but only now do some computers come standard with good midi and none of this crap where a guitar sounds like some werid electric piano. but with my yamaha keyboard its much better than before!

Dont be a fool, stay in school
  7. rhyde

rhyde New Member

Depends on your definition of "MIDI".
    I played around with MIDI on some synthesizers in the mid-1980s. I bought a Roland JV-30 about five or six years ago. It died about a year and a half ago and I discovered Quicktime musical instruments to "fill in the gap" until I could afford a new XP-30. Generally, I don't play MIDIs on my PC, but I will use Quicktime Musical Instruments on a Powerbook while working on some stuff.
  8. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I was one of those folks. MIDI in the early 80's was not done on IBM PC's (what we used to call PC's). The only option was to use specialized hardware and sequencing software. I used a CX-5M. I'm assuming some upmodel synths had sequencers as well, but I didn't own one.

The PC speaker music you're talking about was the only "music" available on IBM PC's for years and years. If you wanted real music on a useful PC, you got yourself an Amiga (after 1985 or so). Before that, there were only relatively primitive computers like the Atari 800 or Commodore 64.

Anyway, this is probably more than you asked for, but I thought you might find it interesting.

ZR
  9. dano

dano New Member

I've been using midis at gigs for a year now, and as much of a novice as I am with them, I discover something new every day.
  10. DACTYL

DACTYL New Member

FIRST STARTED USING MIDIS IN 80's ON APPLE MAC RUNNING THE FIRST CUBASE PROGRAM.AM VERY EXPERIENCED IN WORKING WITH ANY AND ALL TYPES OF AUDIO.IT WAS A GREAT ADVANCEMENT FOR MUSICIANS.
  11. mikeyyyb

mikeyyyb New Member

That sounds similar to my first experience. Apple II GS, external midi box, Roland D-10