First Post//Metalcore Styled MIDIs

Discussion in 'Original Music' started by StaaViinsZ|Stephen, Apr 23, 2017.

1. StaaViinsZ|Stephen

StaaViinsZ|Stephen New Member

Hi! This is my first time here, I was searching online for a MIDI based community, as I've been getting into MIDI composing lately via MidSequer (Android App), and I found this on Google.

Here are three different MIDIs that I made myself, two based off of a song my Dad composed, and one completely of my own creation. I've just recently gotten into MIDI, although I've been sequencing for a while (over a year at least) if you consider Pocketband (Android App) to be any sort of experience with sequencing at all.

I'm making another MIDI now, and it is certainly a time consuming process, yet so satisfying. I only finished what seems like half or less of the guitars and it took me all night (past 7 AM or so)!

NOTE:

The attachments don't seem to be working for me, so I'll try to get on the computer to attach the files a little later.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk
  2. StaaViinsZ|Stephen

Well, sorry this took so long, but I'm finally on the computer! Hopefully the attachments will work through here.

Slight change of plan: I'll go ahead and upload spam all of my MIDIs I've made, and list some recommendations about them.
    ~~~~

Hm... Slight change of plan again... A MIDI forum that doesn't allow audio uploads of any kind... even the miniscule format of MIDI? Have to say, that's an odd one. If space is the concern, I've written larger text files in one day than ALL of my MIDIs put together. I think the logic here is pretty straightforward-- If space is the concern, because of limits or whatever it may be, then why wouldn't you allow MIDI uploads, if only exclusively, which equal to the size of a small text file? Along with this, if you don't allow MIDI, why would you allow text files, and even ZIP files, which could easily be many times the size of the average MIDI? Unless there is some greater reasoning I am unaware of (Like purposefully being afraid to allow MIDI uploads for fear of flooding the servers through sheer popularity (clearly, not exactly a concern for the site today, depending on your space standards), limitations with the site host, or some other thought process), this seems like a grave mistake and oversight by the site's purveyors. If I can upload a ZIP file, which can be monumentally large, unless you cap the upload size, then why wouldn't you just allow people to do what next to everyone would want to do on a MIDI forum... Upload MIDI?

MIDI is such a small format, it's crazy. Sure, you have to have a good soundfont to initialize it in any decent quality, but that's not the point.

MIDI forum|Doesn't allow MIDI Uploads|MIDI files are equivalent or smaller than a text file, and 99.9% of the time WAY small than ZIP files|This doesn't add up.

But, have it your way, I'll just upload a few comparatively MASSIVE .ZIP files of MP3s for you to host.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh, I see. You can't upload anything over 1 MB. Everything has to be smaller than 1 MB. Of course, you never thought to consider that MIDI files are 99.9% SMALLER THAN 1 MB? and maybe that people would like to upload MIDI to a MIDI FORUM? It doesn't make any sense. Maybe it's just a limitation of your site host or package. I'm just saying, if you allow files up to one Megabyte, then why wouldn't you just allow uploads of the thing this forum is all about-- MIDI files? Unless you were just bent on making people upload MIDI files not in their "raw, uncompressed" form (83 KB for a sONG?!), but in extra compressed-on-top-of-already-minute ZIP files.

Well, anyway. We'll try to pretend like these download restrictions are reasonable and make any sense whatsoever, and just upload MIDI in a ZIP file.

And then again, when you run a server/site, every MB/KB counts, and ZIP definitely makes the file size smaller.

Attached Files:

3. StaaViinsZ|Stephen

Ignore my near "rant" about this site's uploading restrictions. I'm sure they knew people would want to upload MIDI, and they knew it would add up space wise, over the years. The goal was probably to save space, but be somewhat reasonable. Not attempt to pull one over on everyone using a MIDI forum.:p
    Being reasonable includes allowing files up to 1 MB and allowing formats other than .ZIP like .TXT.

What's the best way for a MIDI forum host to save space? Make everyone upload their MIDI files in .ZIP format.

It's still kind of ridiculous, considering I could go and buy a TB (Terabyte!) hard drive for $50, and MIDI files are among the smallest files still presently used and considered relevant today, and certainly the smallest music files used by any professional artist today. It's still kind of upsetting.

But I'm not going to let myself dwell upon it too long.

Anyway, let's change the subject!:oops::rolleyes::)
  4. StaaViinsZ|Stephen

So, I uploaded the MIDI files in a .ZIP file two posts above this one! :D

If you download that, and open up the archive, you will see:

~

A Piano Song First Take.MID

A True Classic.MID

A True Classic 2.MID

Banner High FULL VERSION.MID

BVB Full Further Fixed.MID

~

Here's a brief guide to these files, and what to expect:

"A Piano Song":

This is a brief, slapped together song I made one night, which actually turned out decently. Expect no bass, minimal layering, some things that make you say "Was that really inspired?", along with some slow drums, cool harmonies that don't just stay on the third/2 notes away in the scale thrown in for good measure, and a satisfying ending.

~~

"A True Classic":

"For lack of a better name" is basically my catchphrase when it comes to songwriting with no words. This is a song that my Dad authored on the keyboard originally, as best as I could remember it at the time, without the change-up he had, with some interesting Bass and Drum lines (hint, hint), and some quaint riffing and harmonizing around the original riff (Again, not those boring "third only" harmonies, you will hear these harmonies DO THINGS).

This song also serves are the INTRO track to "A True Classic 2". Quite a long intro track, I know. It's something more of a prelude, I should say, but regardless, that completely justifies it's repetitive nature and lack of dynamic phrasing, song structure, and mood shifting. No, really.

To stay authentic, I even messed with the sustain timing of the rhythm to mimic my Dad's mistakes/perhaps intentional flavorings he would do while playing this song. Totally innovative and incredible attention to detail, I know. Please, hold the applause.

P.S. Expect jovial Harpsichord music, on the precipice of Bach and Beethoven, writing by my Dad. Hey, it's okay to say if it's complimenting someone else, right?

P.P.S. Actually expect a fun jaunt of Harpiscordial tunage that will leave you completely changed and inspired.

P.P.P.S. Well, I can't say anything more realistic than that. Sorry, even I have limitations.
    ~~

"A True Classic 2":

Ah, yes. A true classic indeed. Well, by the time this file begins and is over with, you might figure out I'm a Metalcore freak-- that I took my own Dad's Jovial song, and turned it into a bone-crushing Core beatdown in the key of G Major/HAPPY. Melody backed up by HIGHLY rhythmic rhythm guitar with Synced bass drums will greet you after a somewhat impromptu (In my mind) drum solo, and it will take you out the door, too. Just hopefully not before the song's over.

Included in this version are my extremely wrong, inauthentic soft interlude (losing artist points, she can't TAKE MUYCH MYORE A THIS, CAPTAIN!), a cool, brief, closed-to-open hi-hat vibe breakdown/transition, some totally subtle Metal style drumming, and an extremely (Non) nuanced ending solo that will either leave you saying "I'm melting", or "too much, Melt-al".

Okay, Okay, hold the jeering, I know it was bad.

A metalcore version of your Dad's masterwork? What's not to like?
    Unless you don't like Metalcore.
    And it's not your Dad.
    WeLL, ANYWAY, I SUPPOSE IT'S TIME TO BE MOVING ONWARD--!

~~

"Banner High":

Can you say

I D O N ' T L I K E T H I S N A M E

One of the hardest struggles for me is coming up with names and concepts for songs that have no words-- and therefor, no concept. When you have an entire lyric sheet to choose from, and a traditionally structured song with a vocal chorus, it becomes much clearer what the name should be. When you're working off of either pure musical inspiration or a solely musical concept (like wanting to make a song like a certain band you like), and you're doing it on a MIDI sequencing app, the name choice becomes much less clear. Should you spend as much time writing a narrative for this song as you've spent developing it, to hopefully provide yourself with a name you are endeared to through a rigorous conceptual mind-crafting, and a newly defined structure and concept to every sound you hear in your song? Well, there's always trying to take a vague notion of the mood of the song and attempting on the spot to create a vaguely sensical concept to provide yourself with a vaguely logical ground to create a vaguely associative name upon. Yeah, that's a lot of vague.

Needless to say, the name isn't my favorite part about this song. Which is funny, because the name is my favorite part of so many songs! Wait...o_O

Okay, so if you actually like Metalcore (probably the lighter side of it), then this song might actually have something for you, though just liking Modern Hard Rock music and having a penchant for retro flashbacks to Raptor: Call of The Shadows with MIDI guitar songs would probably be more effective in endearing you to this song.

Expect an opening beatdown, followed by a half-time (?) breakdown, a (very) brief nylon guitar interlude, Some more rhythm guitar + lead phrases W/dynamic metal drumming and a piano SOLO MOMENT leaDING INTO AN EPIC VI - VII - I PROGRESSION!!! FOLOOWWED BYA RELATIVE MAJOR KEY SWITCH!!!!!
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAA okay is this working, are you hyped?

This song is probably the first MIDI I finished that I was really proud of. The song is lots of fun, and the guitar solo work almost throughout can be quite entertaining! Watching this song through a visualizer is great fun (MIDI Voyager is a decent choice for Android)!

So, imagine those Americans-- or "Emo millennials"-- flying their "banner high", and enjoy this song! While you're at it, go ahead and totally don't do that first thing! That's weird! Just like the name.

~~

"BVB Full Further Fixed":

This is my latest MIDI! This one is 6 minutes long, and is more right up the vein of Banner High (For fans of: Banner High; A True Classic 2 [...]), with even more rhythmic guitar work, Metal drums with double bass drums, breakdowns, and blazing lead licks. The style was inspired by Black Veil Brides first album, We Stitch These Wounds, although it is by no means a copy. After all, since when did BVB have a relative major key switch in their songs? (P.S. Google will tell you what a relative major key switch is. What, it told me!)

Expect some classic chord progressions (3, to be exact, though that's generalizing) with plenty of rhythmic phrasing and frantic drum fills, with a full guitar solo at the end!

This track has quite the extended breakdown sequence, with a little Sawtooth Synth thrown in just because Attack Attack! and Caleb Shomo never die. At least, until they die.

It probably takes over 14 hours (I should track it sometime) to complete a MIDI of this size, and that's with Copy and Paste functions that are sent from Heaven.

I hope you enjoy!

P.S. This song DOESN'T HAVE A NAME AND IT DOESN'T NEED ONE.
  5. StaaViinsZ|Stephen

About playing the songs:

There are several ways to play MIDI files. Googling "MIDI Player" will probably come up with something adequate. Chances are, you can just open one right up on whatever system you're on, and the computer should initialize it in some default bank of sounds that was included with the computer. Unfortunately, chances are also that that will sound okay at best-- awful at worst, with next to unheard snares, wimpy sounds in general, particularly keyboardish/hornish guitars, and who knows what else. The guitars will always sound a little weird on MIDI-- at least, in my experience. But, I'm a guitar player, so I would be the one to say that. They're also incredibly awesome, if you like that sort of thing. Trust me when I say, however, the drums and keyboards can sound AMAZING (and realistic).

Besides that, you may already have some high-quality app or DAW for playing MIDI on the PC. I'm sure there's a way to put together/find a free MIDI player for the PC. Just make sure you get a good soundfont to go with it. FluidSynth, GeneralUser and Chaos all sound very good and relatively comparable.

Most of the time, I listen to music on my phone. On Android, there is an app called "MIDI Player". It is from Volcano Mobile. The one with red dot with a music note in the middle. Yeah, that's the one. You can play the song several different ways through this app (aka with several different soundfonts or other initializations). In order to get the most of this app, go into the settings, turn OFF the setting "use internal soundfont", tap on "Soundfont", and select download. Choose one of the three choices. I listen to my files with Chaos, but sometimes it's hard to know which one really sounds better, plus Chaos has this really weird problem where it will keep picking guitar notes sometimes. Regardless, I like it the best for my music. Choose what you want, I recommend that one, especially for my songs. The download size will be smallest with Chaos, a good choice for those who struggle with phone space (forward motion). Yeah, I know, I should get shot for that reference. Once it downloads, it will probably automatically select it for you. However, should you download more than one soundfont and want to change it, you will likely have to find the folder to which they downloaded. For reference, my path is /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/net.volcanomobile.midiplayer/files .
    OTHERWISE, after you download a soundfont, you should be good to go. Exit the settings, and press the three dots in the top righthand corner. Tell it to rescan or scan your library. Hopefully, you know the path, or can figure out wherever you've put your MIDI files. Tapping one should play it with the specified setting.

The easiest place to find things is on the root of the drive, or in a straightforwardly named folder on the root. For some reason I feel kind funny about getting the root of a drive too messy with files, but it probably won't hurt anything (like 99% probably not, unless you just go crazy with it).

Enjoy! It sounds a lot more involved than it is!

Stephen