Free Mp3 software...?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by Lord Midi, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Lord Midi

Lord Midi The Dane of Music

Does anyone know a free program for making mp3's??
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Why don't you try using a search engine? That's a lot quicker and more efficient than asking here.

Typing "free MP3 converter" into Google produced nearly 10,000 hits! There must be one there which would suit you.
  3. Lord Midi

As you may notice, I asked about a program for MAKING mp3's... not a converter...

And of course I've already tried a search engine... But I can only find trial versions of programs...

What I want is a full-version program, which I can record mp3's with...
  4. Graeme

Graeme New Member

A Google search, using ' "MP3 recorder" freeware ' as the keywords pulled up 36,600 hits! There must be something among that lot which would suit you. The use of a search engine is, by far, the best way to find stuff on the net. The secret is in picking your keywords to narrow the search down to manageable proportions.

As for MP3 recording, there seems little point in it, unless you need to record from a stream. It's a lossy format and most people would want to record at the highest possible quality and only subsequently convert to MP3 - that's why you will find far more convertors than recorders around.
  5. Lord Midi

Which format would be the best to record in, then?
  6. JackRoofman

JackRoofman New Member

If you're way serious about it, then I can't help you, but if you just want something simple, use the Sound Recorder in Windows and convert to an MP3 file once you're done.
  7. Zandro

Zandro New Member

The best format to record in is highest quality your card supports. My card can record at 96KHz 24-bit, but the standard at which most people record their files is 44.1KHz 16-bit.