Freebie for MIDIBuddy.net members

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by synthwar, Dec 30, 2003.

1. synthwar

synthwar New Member

Freebie for MIDIBuddy.net members

Hi,
    Mr. Admin Guy gave me permission to post this note. It is kind of long, but you might find it interesting.

I am webmaster for MusicianWar.com. We do on-line music competitions. The way it works is two people post mp3s of their music on our site and everyone makes comments on the tunes and votes on whose tune is better. It is a lot of fun, and a good way to keep improving your music. Check it out here:

musicianwar.com

We started out as guitarwar.com, added bass and now synth and changed our name to MusicianWar.com. We started out as a free site, and had a lot of the pains you guys have here. Actually, our pains were worse because people like to sign up multiple accounts to stuff the voting box, the site requires gigabytes of storage, etc. I won't bore you with that. Anyway, it has been a pay site for 2 years. Being a pay site solved a lot of our problems. We were able to add an audio chat, and get our own server, and keep out the ballot stuffers.

The new synth section needs a kick start. We need about 50 members to get it going well. I like your community and I think people from MIDIBuddy.net would be good additions to MusicianWar.com. You can have a free membership to MusicianWar.com. for all of 2004. The only requirement is that you be a member in good standing at MIDIBuddy.net, are capable of creating an mp3 file of your original music, and you want to compete in synth war. One catch: you can't use this freebie to compete as a guitarist in guitar war.

If you are interested, do this:

email me at support@musicianwar.com telling me your MIDIBuddy.net username, MIDIBuddy.net rank and describe your synth/midi recording setup (it can be anything, fruity loops, acid, outboard stuff, cubase, just let me know).

Thanks for reading my long post. I really like your community and I hope to hear from some of you.

Jon
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2003
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Music means different things to different people, but is is essentially a direct link to the emotions.

Personally, I object to any implication of a 'war' where music is concerned. Not everyone even likes the same music, but that does not mean the music you don't like should be put against the wall and shot.

If you guys want a 'war' then so be it - but I'm not getting involved.
  3. Capt.Sparrow

Capt.Sparrow New Member

I think you misunderstand, i'm not a member of the site but i can see it's just friendly competition. if you goto the public access and read the comments you'll see there isnt really any music being put against the wall and shot. I would love to join but i am nowhere near good enough to compete with the things ive heard on there.
  4. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Fair enough - maybe I've been tainted b y the sort of discussions which used to take place on MP3.com (and still do on SoundClick).

I'll go have a look and listen. We'll see how it goes :)

Added comments:

1 - Since you are the webmaster for the site, I'd like to suggest you add a streaming option (preferably MP3).

Although it seems to come as a surprise to many webmasters, a lot of the world does not have broadband access - and that includes me! It would be a lot easier for people in my position to be able to do a quick stream of material to decide if it's even worth downloading.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2004
  5. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Who decides which two pieces are to be 'compared'? I've just downloaded two pairs of compositions and they are somewhat disparate, to say the least. It all seems a bit 'apples and oranges' to me.

However, I'm prepared to try it out (nobody can say I'm not willing to try something new) and I'll email my details to you.
  6. synthwar

synthwar New Member

I appreciate your comments on this. As Capt. Sparrow noted, the competition is more a starting place to discuss what works and what doesn't, rather than something negative as the name might lead you to believe. A lot of people find the idea and the group motivating.

tAnyway, there are 2 synth/sequencing games: Amateur, which doesn't affect your stats, and challenge. In amateur, you are matched up against the next person that comes along, and it can be apples and oranges. If you win too many amateur challenges, you graduate out of amateur status.

In challenge, you can specify that the tune must be of a certain genre, must be real time, must use a certain backing track, etc. That way it is less apples and oranges. At this stage, there are maybe 15 synth competitors, so most challenges are not too specific (you might not find someone willing to accept your polka challenge with atonal drones mandatory).

Anyway, as we get more people, it will get more interesting. Email me as above and I will clear you to sign up.

Oh, and good point about streaming, I will try to set that up in the near future.

Jon
  7. Graeme

Graeme New Member

OK - I've already done that - we'll see what happens :)

I would certainly find that useful. I expect others would as well. Thankls for that.
  8. Starion

Starion God Almighty

I took this offer and just wanted to comment. It is a really good site and I really enjoy listening to other peoples stuff. It will be a little while before I am comfortable enough to submit something of mine, but I am looking forward to getting involved in the process.
  9. deadboy

deadboy Member

i'll have to check it out
  10. Meee

Meee New Member

gd idea ill hav 2 check it out!
  11. xavierhp

xavierhp New Member

hmmm heyy we just need more oportunities to get mor $MB
  12. merry

merry New Member

sounds almost like garageband.com only less contestants!
    looks interesting
    cheers
  13. xkur0xnek0x

xkur0xnek0x New Member

*makes a note 2 self 2 check it out later* ^_^
  14. alley da mac

alley da mac New Member

hope to get some real soon
  15. redwoody001

redwoody001 New Member

Mac DVD to iPhone can convert DVD to iPhone on Mac with various practical features,is a specially designed mac dvd to iPhone converter, by using DVD to iphone Converter for Mac, you can convert DVD to iPhone video and audio, and DVD to iPhone for Mac can Convert DVDs to iPhone and convert videos to iPhone on Mac OS X, iSkysoft DVD Studio Pack for Mac is one of the best DVD Ripper, Video Converter, DVD Copy on Mac OS X,by using iSkysoft DVD Ripper for Mac you can rip your DVDS to various audio and video format, DVD Creator for Mac can burn DVD movie on Mac, Dvd Copy for Mac is a powerful Mac DVD copy software, DVD backup Mac, Mac DVD burner that can copy DVD movies with the entire movie in 1:1 ratio perfectly.
  16. zeetv

zeetv New Member

I am a housewife who is living in Arizona. My 15-year-old daughter will be very happy to hear about this competition. She loves music and she has made some songs by herself. She was waiting for an opportunity like this to show her talent. I am sure that she will participate. I will ask her to send an email as soon as she comes.