gibson vs epiphone les paul

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by eddy2086, Jul 18, 2004.

1. eddy2086

eddy2086 New Member

what's the difference?
  2. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

Epiphone is merely a cheap copy of the Gibson Les Paul.
  3. draccon

draccon New Member

G man said it all, hey g man is that a ford??
  4. turbocoo

turbocoo New Member

Epiphone are alot better than they used to be....i picked up a gibson sg recently and the quality control was rubbish!
  5. FabricVegas2

FabricVegas2 New Member

Yeah exist difference

I have two guitars ( one Gibson and one Epiphone ) and i see difference ..tha gibson have more resonance and more sustain ...and various.. but the great diference is it..
    sorry ..my english is bad..i´m a brazilian

bye
  6. Phulcrum

Phulcrum New Member

Hit or miss honestly. Gibson QA is prob much better and they use higher quality components. But you can get a really great playing and sounding Epiphone guitar. My first guitar was an Epiphone LP copy. I changed out the pickups, the pickup selector switch and the nut and it turned out to be a wonderful playing and sounding guitar for 1/3 of what a Gibson would cost.
  7. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

I am a bit of a gibson snob really, but i do respect epiphone... Gibson pick and choose their timber for guitars, better electrics, pickups, hardware, finish etc etc etc. I must add that gibson wouldnt put their name to anything bad - as squire to fender as well.

Remember that the only difference to a gibson les paul studio to a standard is the binding and the gibson logo, (I play a studio and my excuse is that i don't like binding LOL)
  8. hayer

hayer New Member

i dissagree....the older the epi is the better it sounds....it wasn't that massproduced in the beginning. I have an really old SG which sounds great. Thinking of throwing in a couple of burstbuckers in her.
  9. SeamyD

SeamyD Member

The difference is in the woods used, the metal fixtures, the pickups and the construction methods employed. These things combined with 3rd world labour rates contribute to a cheaper guitar.

The main problem with epiphone and such like guitars are that they are very microphonic, this can be cured and improve the guitar ten fold by potting the pickups!
  10. harperpi

harperpi New Member

I've done some research into this subject as I have a 1996 Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop. All the above replies have valid points (i.e. cheap labor, materials, electronics) Newer Epi LP's are listed to be constructed with "Mahogany/Alder." I went straight to Gibson to find out how the bodies were constructed (Sandwiched different woods, alder caps?) As it turns out the 1996 that I have is Mahogany back, neck and maple carved top...just like the Gibsons! Here's the kicker...the top (gold) is painted and the back has a very dark stain, so dark I'm unable to see the wood grain! They can get away with using mahogany that doesn't have the prettiest grains, as well as the maple top. Ugly mahogany, still sounds like mahogany...and this guitar weighs as much as a Gibson. I swapped out the tuners to Grovers and replaced the pickups with Seymour Dincan '59's. I now have a really nice playing guitar (Korean assembled guitars aren't bad at all) that sound terrific. At gigs, I can set it on a stand and walk away without worrying about a $2000-$3000 guitar. Go to the ZZ top website, there is a photo of Billy Gibbons on stage with a cherry-sunburst Epi. Many artists are leaving their vintage babies at home and gigging with Japanese and Korean made copies!
  11. qtip22

qtip22 New Member

It really depends on the gibson and the epiphone. Gibson for the most part will not let epiphone be better than any of their models, primarily because of the price difference. You'd be getting ripped off. Then again, I'd much rather have a good epiphone for 300 rather than a crappy gibson for 600. Gibson has much higher levels of guitar. You cant get an epiphone les paul as good as the best gibson les paul, and nothing epiphine makes even comes close to the Jimmy Paige.
  12. mathieu_stelema

mathieu_stelema New Member

It's quite simple. If you can afford it, go for a Gibson. If you can' t go for an Epiphone. It's not like an Epiphone is a bad guitar.