Got the Keyboard, got the cable, now what?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by Hopkins, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Hopkins

Hopkins New Member

Okay, I got a MIDI keyboard, and I got a MIDI cable, but unfortunately, I have no midi input on my soundcard, nor do I have a joystick plug on my computer, so I ask: What can I do now? I have Audio in and Audio out, can I do something with that? Or can I do this through usb? Getting a new sound card is out of the question because I just spent most of my money on this new (read: crap) computer.:( :mad: :(
  2. Stilcrazy

Stilcrazy Just a Regular Midi Guy

Welcome to the world of midi ... the easiest is to use your USB port ... I have one of these MidiMan 1x1 usb interfaces and it works great ... there have been a few discussions on the board here and usually this is what wins ...

http://www.midiman.net/products/midiman/USB1x1.php
  3. Hopkins

Hopkins New Member

Dang cable costs almost as much as the keyboard! I'm getting one this afternoon though, and then maybe I can join the ranks of a MIDI creator (muhahahahaha). Or at least create some tick tack music and CALL myself talented (who isn't these days?). Don't worry, I'm a perfectionist (that was a BOLD face lie). Looks like I'll be getting a new keyboard soon also, the one I have has the mini keys and my fingers are too big for the keys. Oh, well, the things I do for music.
  4. Stilcrazy

If your cables cost as much as your keyboard ... hmmm maybe time to look at a new keyboard .... but as I said ... welcome to the world of midi ...
  5. Hopkins

Hopkins New Member

LOL...I got everything up and running, I plan on getting another keyboard, I had a great one but it was stolen from my old house while I was in the process of moving. This one I'm using now has mini keys (ugh). I'll get another one soon though. While we're at it, any suggestions? Oh yeah, this keyboard only has MIDI OUT, there is no MIDI IN section on it, what does that mean?
  6. Stilcrazy

Suggestions on a new keyboard ... hmmm ... all depends on budget ... and only you can determn that

As for only midi out ... that just means the keyboard will only send midi messages not receive them ... unless you have more than one device should not be an issue ...
  7. dmanley

dmanley New Member

What is the keyboard that you actually have? The MIDIMAN 1X1 interface mentioned above works great (I have one myself) and can be had on eBay for about 30.00 (sometimes less). Do you have an audio cable from the keyboard that you can plug into the audio input of your computer? If so, you can record the output of your keyboard directly into the computer. The Internet is full of free audio recording programs - it might be best to try and find one that allows you to adjust the recording gain (since your keyobard is sending out line-level audio). What kind of computer is it? Heck, why don't you just email me and I'll try to help you.
  8. craig.keatin

craig.keatin New Member

I HAVE A YAMAHA EZ30 YOU CAN PICK THEM UP FOR AROUND £200 NOW. A GREAT BIT OF KIT YOU CAN SAVE ALL SONGS ON THE FLASH MEMORY AND LEARN TO PLAY THEM THROUGH THE BUILT IN EDUCATION SUIT. CHECK EM OUT ON EBAY YOUR SURE TO FIND ONE CHEAP.