Guitar newbie (need help on a couple of things)

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by nova_, Nov 4, 2002.

1. nova_

nova_ New Member

Ok I have been playing the piano for 10 years (since I was 9)

And wanted to change cuz I love the guitar as well...you know? Most of the best songs are alternative, amd the way it sounds. My question is...What electric guitar and Amp should I buy?

Im wondering quality sound from the guitar ( but I dont want the best out there ...an average will do) And an Amp thats average not cheap but not expensive. Also an amp that can plug to your pc. So I can use programs like guitar pro. anyone recommend any good guitars and amps for what im looking for?

this will help me alot. if u can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance
  2. song demon

song demon New Member

Mmmmmm......

Well, personally, I started playing about 15 years ago and started on a cheap guitar that constantly went outta tune!! Don't make that mistake, whatever ya do!

It really depends what sort of sound you wanna go for, and the style/s you intend to learn.

Fender Strats *spits* are good for a more countryish sound, though, again personally, i hate 'em with a passion!

Gibsons are lovely guitars, but the necks can be a bit wide when you're starting out!

I use Ibanez guitars, myself..... they ain't too expensive, and one of 'em i've had for 14 years and wouldn't get rid of for any money!

You really gotta go and try a view different ones in the stores..... find one you feel comfy with.... both for weight, neck-size, whatever. Then see what sorta sound it makes.... the sound can vary drastically from one guitar to the other.... believe me!

As for amps..... again... it depends on what you feel comfy with, and what sorta sound you want! I use a coupla Marshalls (JCM2000 Ltd Ed Stack and a Valvestate 2000 Combo) which I love the sound of..... but i used to use a coupla Peavey combos, which were also very good!

Don't worry too much about plugging the amp into the PC.... you might blow the soundcard if nothing else!!! But, when i used to record on the PC, i just used to either plug the guitar directly into the mic socket (in which case you have to watch the input level and adjust it) or guitar-effects pedal-line in socket. Some amps do have a line out which could well be used for it, i really ain't that sure on different models, though i think the valvestate i have does have a line-out on the back *must check*!!!

Anyways.... hope that helped a bit! Basically, go for whatever you feel comfy with for guitar!

Hope you get on with it ok!
  3. Dr Chemikill

Dr Chemikill New Member

Hey,
    Seriously the best thing you can do when looking for the right guitar is to go to a shop and ask to try it,that way you try different guitars and different amps.Go back the next day and try em again.

SONG DEMON`s right about strats and Gibsons although I started 23 yrs ago on a Gibson SG copy with a very wide neck and found once I was used to it I couldn`t play my mates Ibenez cause it seemed to skinny..!!!!!
    So choose what feels comfy,and dont let the shop fool you into thinking the amp sounds nice if he plugs an effect pedal into it.Muy hi-fi sounds nice with an overdrive and delay pluged into it...!!

If you wanna record guitar on ya PC invest in a CREATIVE AUDIGY 1394 sound card (PLATINUM) as they have guitar mic/line inputs for front and rear of your PC as well as guitar effects built into them.
    If you want to keep costs down try and get an amp with line out or mix out and plug that into your line in.
    When it comes to quality place a mic at an angle in front of ya speaker(AMP OF COURSE) and plug that into your mic socket.

AMPS
    Keep it small for now you probably don`t need that much power if your just starting and it`ll sound better.

Learn to play by ear along with cd`s and you`ll do just fine.
    SONG DEMON`s right go for whats comfy you can allways "upgrade" later.

HAVE FUN and dont give up IT WILL get better.
  4. moo_foz

moo_foz New Member

ive taught myself how to play the guitar......after playin the piano and violin - it's not so bad.....however, could you help as i only know a limited amount of chords. is there a simple rule such as going up the fret board in the same position to get different chords?!?! thanxxxxx :D
  5. The Skull

The Skull Power of the Force

Ibanez guitars are very good. But you also have to put so time an effort in keeping the Guitar you get in good condistion. Always keep it tuned, even when flying it on a plane. keep out of the rain, cool, or addverce weather. Polish it, name it, and it will be good to you for a long time.
  6. M.O.T.E.

M.O.T.E. New Member

Would you like to learn?
  7. james

james New Member

moo-foz
    yes there is a simple rule about sliding up the neck, you can do it best with E and A chords create your chosen chord with your last three fingers and barre all six strings two frets behind it with your first finger. Using this method you can get most of the commonly used chords and major & minor chords are just one finger movement away. As you will probably find it hurts like hell to start but it'll get better . Some chords do sound better though played in thier original position suppose it depends on the song........good lick hope this has helped.
  8. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

yes, just learn the the "F" and "B flat" chord shapes then you can use them all over the place.

But you should learn the open chords too.