Guitar Rigs

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by Nigel Mulvey, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Nigel Mulvey

Nigel Mulvey New Member

I would be really interested in what sort of guitar/amp set ups some of you solo/duo acts are using. IE do you take separate amps or do you use amp modelling gear through a PA?

I am using the former but have been considering the latter to reduce the amount of gear I have to hump around.
  2. warrenaxe

warrenaxe New Member

I use the Boss GT-6, I go straight into the PA as I play in a restaurant so no scope for cranking it up. It;s a great piece of gear. Very versatile.
  3. brc 103

brc 103 New Member

hi

im in a dual guitar outfit playing pubs + clubs

i use a les paul studio through a marshall mg50dfx - the amp is absolute rubbish! only good thing it has is the clean channel (did I really say good) but usually i run through a boss pedal setup, overdrive - metal zone - chorus - compressor & also a power supply pedal. I then can get a good sound.

Lead guitar player uses - home made guitar built to les paul double cutaway specs through a marshall valvestate 8080 - he gets a great sound through the amp alone (both clean and overdriven - fu***r!! LOL)

anyway,
    if you gig and actually want the guitar to sound good then you want a guitar amp, (even one as shi* as mine) - if you only strum then going through the PA is ok.

Bear in mind that the less you put through the PA speakers the better. I personally use backing tracks of just bass - drums and the occasional keyboard lick, kinda like status quo keyboard if you know what i mean. Having said that I normally bi amp or tri amp to keep the speakers working less.

So you should really use a guitar amp, theres loads of great effects out there and you can use them, but guitar amps were invented for a reason!

just my opinion
  4. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

I agree with using a dedicated amp, I have tried the digitech pedal thru the PA but didn't like it. I use a combination of digitech pedal thru an A/B box into a Fender Pro185 amp (or Fender Hot Rod Deville) and a Marshall Valvestate100 head and quad. It gives me the best of both worlds for clean and dirty. For guitars I use a 1987 Fender Strat Plus Deluxe and a 2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Saying that though I have heard that the new Line6 Pod ProXT is very good, just waiting to get a test drive at the moment.
  5. alex_wilding

alex_wilding New Member

Im starting to use Protools with the Amplitube plugin. Its very nice and easy to modify. Only thing is i reckon the free LE version is better than the full one, and only the LE one has the built in tuner
  6. briankuroda

briankuroda New Member

amp modeling sucks.
  7. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

I play in a dual guitar duo with drums and bass backing, used a Pod 2.3 for a couple of years, it is good coz its compact, and you can set the levels well, sounds ok. But the guitars never sounded big enough.

Im now using a marshall JMP 50 wtt with a 4 x12, tubescreamer for distortion and a boss SD-1 for leads.

Ive noticed it sounds more 'live' with a real amp and ppl react to it.

Also agree with the above comment, the less u hav thru the PA the better, I thinka seperate amp for guitatr is the way to go.
  8. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

oh yeah just wanted to add, this is for a pretty rockin pub where we need volume.

amp modelling has its place and is sounding better all the time and in certain applications(ie smaller gigs,quick setup etc) would be favourable to a loud amp.
  9. guitarmik

guitarmik Member

well my set up goes like this
    2002 les paul standard
    marshall jcm 800 lead series combo
    boss gt-6
    morley bad horsie wah
    my back up axe is an american series kramer pacer
    and i have an ibanez electro which i plug into the pa
    the band also runs midi,we have a laptop with cakewalk pro 9
    a midi portman and our sound module is a roland sc 155
  10. shorts

shorts Member

POD PRO straight into the desk.... yes some of it doesnt sound 100% but it sounds good enough.....

I think digi modelling really needs humbucker pickups.... especially live.
  11. U-110

U-110 Member

I prefer having guitar & bass amps on stage, like voice of god said above, it adds a bit of a "live" feel to the performance. I use a Mesa/Boogie 2x12 cabinet and my buddy plays his bass through an Ampeg 4x10 cabinet, so it's not too much of a hassle to carry around and/or fit into a small setting.
  12. hayer

hayer New Member

I play Gibson guitars on a Hughes Kettner rig. Sounds very diffrent, not like everyone else ;)
  13. davejay

davejay New Member

If you properly DI a guitar into the board, you can get a great sound from it. If your running your effects pedal into a PA head, of course it's going to sound horrible, a piece of crap into a piece of crap is going to sound like, guess what, a piece of crap.

It can be done correctly however. When I play in the rehearsal studio and don't feel like dragging in my 412 Cab and Full Rackmounted System from the concert hall, I just take out my Adrenalinn and SansAMP DI Boxes and run right into the rehearsal rooms 24 Channel Carvin Mixer. I can isolate a lower frequency range monitor, I usually use a 15" on the high left, usually where I stand so I can use it to monitor myself as well, and run the DI via XLR through there. It sounds much much much better than any practice amp you can buy.
  14. Ren Hoek

Ren Hoek New Member

on my part, it really depends on how i'm feeling that night. I usually play a small pub and when I feel like having lots of effects i usually just bring my SGX2000 and plug right into the PA, if I feel minimalist, just bring my heavy Crate VC3112 and an old Boss Super feedbacker & distortion for a small boost on leads... Having a decent multi-effect unit can really help lighten things up...
  15. DiSound

DiSound New Member

16. Anno_Anubus

Anno_Anubus New Member

Well there are two kinds of modelers, physical ones like the POD or Black Box, and software like Amplitube and Guitar Rig.

I've never like the physical modelers because thy're too much work with too many tiny buttons. One slip and you've broken it, or in the very least can't get back to your config menu :eek:

The software modelers weren't that great[for guitar live] because they'd either color your sound too much and the levels could be all over the place if you switched from one preset to the next. Plus, latency isn't fun live =p
    Until now I agreed on using a total real rig, but then I came across Guitar Rig.
    This thing is absolutely incredible. Out of any mod I've seen its the only one I'd vote for probably all of the time.
    I think one of the biggest aspects is the selection of items to model. You can choose from Mesa, Fender and Vox[style*, but they're done so well ;p) amps, with a huge amount of cabs to go through. You can mic them from close up, to the side[like if you were really recording guitars!], off-axis, far away, and behind[but only on cabs you could really mic from behind]. On top of that you can change the eq/vol/pan on each cab, add as many as you want.
    Then its got almost every big stomp box. Using ones like the DS-1, the tubescreamer, big muff, that-layla-sound, etc. It got a ton more but I'm running low on time =p
    The place this guy can -reallly- outshine is live. With virtually no coloring of the sound [obviously modeling it to the preset], it delivers a much clearer tone than ANY modeler I've seen.
    The best fact about it was it was designed for guitarists, and for use live. you can set your latency to where a laptop could handle it and its like the whole rig fits in your briefcase.
    New versions also have a foot controller, which functions like the multi-effects pedals. Gives a decent feel, and still could be an opt over some digitech multi-effects pedals.

You could basically play out of a speaker, but I'd reccomend playing out of a real cab anyway =p

Hookup the laptop on the cab like you would the amp and youre set. My personal preference would be a Mesa cab with Guitar Rig.

For both live and recording. The cab is only really needed for live.

so informative its bad for your health! =p