hate filling midi requests?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by dshinka, Dec 31, 2003.

1. dshinka

dshinka New Member

see, ive been thinking (a very dangerous pastime of mine!) and i remember this quote "give a man a fish and feed him for a day. teach a man how to fish and feed him for a lifetime..." let me rephrase it "give someone a midi and keep them happy for a day, teach someone how to expertly sequence midi files, and keep them happy for a lifetime..." Maybe I'm just stupid...
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

^ heyyy... I like him! (her??) but a question: is that an offer of services or a plea for them?
  3. voice of god

voice of god Prodigal Pyjamas Pervert Staff Member Super Mod

good in theory but u forget one thing - a lot of ppl are lazy...... very, very lazy and impatient and untalented and cant work midi programmes and dont know what notes are being played, ah whatever
  4. Jack

Jack New Member

You are right but alot of this midi stuff requires alot of $ to invest to get you started. and for the bedroom singer who only wants to enteraine them selves down loading mids is an alternitive
  5. jeaniesing

nahhhh - Jack... ask Black_Kat... she downloaded a free proggy and has started her MIDI career :)
  6. Black_Kat

Black_Kat Horny Hornist

*snores* Oops...sorry...fell asleep on the keyboard...

Oh but yes! Jeanie showed me all about Anvil and then she helped me make one of the Midis in the Sequencing Contest. The worse of the two I think. Twelve Bar Blues (which she also taught me! ;) ) do not go with Jingle Bells...Then I copied one out of a script she gave me (from the play Nuncrackers) and forgot the ties in the entire song (not purposely!) and added a rhythm and changed some chords around so it sounded better and clearer! So, a long story short (for VOG) Yes. Jeanie is right. *snores* :hit::slap:
  7. jeaniesing

Is it just me or do the heavens open and shafts of brilliant white light bathe my skin and hair in an ethereal glisten accompanied by harpsong and choirs of angelic voices everytime someone says this?

:rolleyes: okay..... so its just me......
  8. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I thought those just followed you about as a matter of course?

:)
  9. vinsanity

vinsanity $¢®ëWëзµÞ

i just dont know what what notes are being played... :hit:

until i take that college course jeanie suggested... music theory and aural recognition(?) i think
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2004
  10. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

* In best Elvis voice *

Thank you .... Thank you very much
  11. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

I hear them too Jeanie .................:boink:
  12. blue2kay

blue2kay New Member

Personally i think composing MIDI files is very complex and will be very difficult for someone without a background in music. All those polyphony values and priority values won't make much sense to most people. What we need is a MIDI wizard program that even the stupidest person would find easy to use. I think that would solve most of our problems.
  13. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

I tear them apart mostly .. thru the event list (Cakewalk)
    removing melody lines, guitar parts, adding bass lines( using the staff)
    then add little cues like wood blocks or cymbal shots for tough parts that seem to go on with no drum signals,
    like that ZZ Top song Waitin4 the bus/Jesus just left Chicago
    that some one progmd well,
    but someone else editted the crap out of....
    that was a whole road trip getting that one right

If I can do it ................. any fool can
  14. dshinka

dshinka New Member

Re: Re: hate filling midi requests?

im a guy that hasn't spammed 100 posts yet to get an avatar... but yeah... but i think its pointless for all of you sequencers to work ur :assskake: off and have us leeches suck up ur hard work... itd make much more sense to teach us...

and [exspensive software] - [kazaa] = $0

so its not that exspensive
  15. davidk

davidk New Member

You're right, and there's a very big difference between editing someone else's work that's already been done, and composing a midifile from scratch.But, if there was a "wizard program" for everything, then no one would have any special talents that set them apart from everyone else.
    I'm sure record companies would love it though. Just plug in the "hit wizard" to write some tunes, and then make a "holo-singer" to sing them. Then they wouldn't have an artist to pay.
    ;)
    The easiest way to get good at programming midifiles, is to jump in and do it.Chart out the parts:you don't necessarily have to read music, just count the number of bars in btwn the verse and the chorus, and the guitar solo, and make a map...that way it's easier to stay organized as you're working...
    once you find a piece of midi-composing software that you like(if you have troubles choosing, ask people that seem to know what they're talking about) stay with it, rather than jumping from software to software<--the more familiar you are with your software the easier it'll be to compose...
    Listen to the original track and your midifile, and try and fix the things that don't sound right.
    If you're serious about composing midifiles, go and buy an in-expensive keyboard and midi-interface for your computer:it helps immensely to be able to "manually" enter note information<-- you'd be surprised how easy some rhythms and simple melodies are to pick out on a keyboard...sequencing becomes more musical and more fun this way also, and there's always the "quantize" button to clean up your sloppy playing..:)
    david
  16. tammy

tammy New Member

oh yes please come teach me please please please!!!!!
    i live in south africa.
    it should only take about 20 years to get me playing keyboard well enough to make midi files.
    do you have the time?
    t
  17. ZelRiptha

You don't really need to play the keyboard to sequence. I've sequenced for 20 years without a keyboard. :) It's probably more the musical knowledge that's the challenge.
  18. tammy

tammy New Member

ok man of great knowledge... explain.
    i have cakewalk.
    a casio keyboard tell me how!!!!!
    where do i start?
    at the computer or at the keyboard.
    come on come on.
    theres a spare room in my flat with an almost sea view.
    just bring your brain...
    t
  19. ZelRiptha

If I had more time and fewer obligations I'd be glad to oblige...

but in the absence of that eventuality...

Most MIDI files I create, I don't "play". I simply click the notes in with a mouse. The real trick is having the ears to figure out which instruments are hitting which notes at which times. And how to make your synth reproduce those sounds as realistically as possible. I know it's not easy. But you might try a simple tune to begin with, like Imagine. See if you can't get it sounding pretty nice. If you have questions about specifics, I'll be glad to answer when I have a few minutes. :)
  20. Nyxan

Nyxan It wont hurt for long Staff Member Moderator

I'm no great sequencer, but practise makes perfect, so I try to create the best midi I can. If I strike trouble that I cant fix, I ask, but the best way is to try...have a go...as BK said there is free software out there....and you'd be surprised how much pleasure is gained from creating a song, even if its not an original, making music is a pleasure in life...so give yourself...and the lazy ones...(points at VOG..lol) a buzz.....