heavy metal

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by scoob, Dec 22, 2004.

1. scoob

scoob New Member

sorry if this is in the wrong section...i'm new here and from germany...how do i make heavy metal with programs like finale. standard sounds do not match what i need!
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I think you are rather on a hiding to nothing trying to make decent midi sequences for this particular genre of music.

The problem being, as you have already discovered, that it is difficult to create the necessary sounds. In general, heavy guitar stuff is almost impossible to do properly in midi - you'd be better off doing audio recordings of a guitar.
  3. fidelio

fidelio New Member

Heavy Metal is not too hard to sequence, since midi distortion guitars & synth pads are not too bad. Just use a proper program designed for guitar, like Guitar Pro (which is pretty cheap) to sequence them.

Try these heavy meatal midis and see for yourself:

Rush: Tom Sawyer (using only 4 tracks: Lead, Synth, Bass & Drums)
    http://tinyurl.com/5tjmm

Iron Maiden: The Trooper
    http://tinyurl.com/4623z

UFO: Rock Bottom (without a drum track, using only 2 tracks)
    http://tinyurl.com/5ypv3

What you (still) can't do is creating decent strumming acoustic guitar sounds.
    I doubt there is any sequencer which is helpful for that. Strumming is probably the hardest stuff to imitate.
  4. hiho

hiho New Member

about decent acoustic strumming...

you might like mamba, available from www.bluespook.com

i stumbled across it recently and was impressed by the results.
  5. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I rest my case!

These sound absolute c**p on my system - because I don't have anything like the right sounds available.

It also clearly demonstrates the folly of using midi as a means of transporting a finished product. Had the composer made audio files of his output, it may well have been far more satisfactory.
  6. fidelio

fidelio New Member

Graeme is right.
    My sound card is of a very popular kind, so I assume many people would hear more or less the same. But obviously not for evr'y single people.

But the point I wanted to make is: distortion guitar sounds (good enough for heavy metal) can be easily created via midi - for a good number of users to profit from - while it's probably impossible to get acceptable results for acoustic strumming guitar sounds.
  7. fidelio

fidelio New Member

hiho,
    If you have had good results with that mamba softwares, why don't you post a sample (midi) for us to evaluate?
  8. johnnyrules

johnnyrules New Member

Try using steinburg cubase vst 5.0 and import the midi's after youve downloaded them
  9. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I'm sorry, but I fail to see where you're going with this idea?

My point is that, unless you have an armoury of the 'correct' sounds (all those cranked-up gutars and stuff) then any midi of this genre of music is not going to be acceptable to 99% of the people who might play it. A standard GM or GS soundset will be extremely tame (for want of a better word) and just importing it into CuBase (or any other application) isn't really going to solve that basic problem.

Even assuming you did have some suitable sounds - would they be the exactly the same ones as the person who did the original sequence was using? Almost certainly not! Which is why using midi as a conveyor of any type of music is not really midi's forté.

Midi is basically a composition tool, not a means of transporting music to the end listener, for that you need a proper audio file.
  10. Atari Maxi

Atari Maxi New Member

If this topic is active, then how is no one online, hm?
    And that's interesting, though. I'd like to be able to make my own Midi's.
    But then, you'd have to use your own stuff-- you know, I think.
  11. Graeme

Graeme New Member

This is a forum, not a chat room.

Topics are 'active' for as long as people pop in and contribute to them. It's not necessary for the contributors to be online for the life of the thread.
  12. deefa

deefa New Member

Could try using a midi pickup on a guitar and run it all through a sampler. Virtual Guitarist is good
  13. metfuel

metfuel New Member

my guitar player is constantly writing new riffs and he doesnt sit down and play his guitar to figure out what he is going to play.
    He will actually map everything out in a midi sequence (using fruity loops) with midi drums and everything and it will sound great as midi can be for guitar, but he tries to stretch his limits as a guitar player by seeing if he can come up with something difficult on the computer without even knowing if he can actually play it for real.
    The results of his riffs are very good, and alot of the stuff he ends up being able to play.