Help for recording Midi to Minidisc

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by legendcasey, Mar 5, 2005.

1. legendcasey

legendcasey New Member

Right here goes.

Ive been playing professionally as part of a duo for 3 years now, always been acoustic, but have now turned to midifiles to ensure freshness and basically more versatility.

So I got a sound module of a mate (Yamaha Mu128) which is alright i suppose. Have a computer and a laptop.

Ive edited a few midi's through cakewalk and played them through the sound module (via the computer). Sounds great with the headphones plugged in.

From there Used the output at the back of sound module and plugged it into mike in on the laptop (I reckon its easier to use the laptop at a gig as u can see the whole set list so can play songs instantly and i use the laptop as a dj unit for after the show, as ive got wicked dj software)

Problem is when played on the laptop through the mixer and amp, it sounds pretty crap, i have the mike in level set so there is no peaking, but its lifeless, very thinny, crap basically.

Is the problem mono vs stereo?? There is no panning when played from lptop.

ANy ideas should i go minidisc (Would that make any difference)
    Is there a decent settings for the equiliser when using midifiles??

Any help tips or anything greatly appreciated,
    First gig using the backing coming upon us way too quick
    Cheers
  2. legendcasey

legendcasey New Member

Yeah it definetely is recorded in mono,

Any solutions??
  3. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Output from sound card should be stereo, so record to minidisc. Going to laptop via mic is mono only. You could just send the midi files to the laptop and in the laptop sound card (if it is reasonably good) put in specific good quality sample soundfonts.
  4. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

I have been playing midi backing via minidics now for three years in both solo and duo. I have found two things help get rid of that lifeless feel. First you got to have good sounds, I use Hypercanvas and Soundfonts to get the best sounds I can from the midi thru Sonar, record that straight to minidisc via soundcard in stereo.
    The second I have found is a Behringer Ultrafex. This device is cheap and really does a great job of enhancing midi during playback. I use it on teh final mix so vocals and all get the treatment.