Help! Midi Frustration!

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by Jonezy, May 28, 2004.

1. Jonezy

Jonezy New Member

Hello,

I purchased a SB Live! audio card and i want to connect my Clavinova Digital Piano to my Pc via the game port.
    Whenever i load Cubase or cakewalk etc, i don't know where to go or WHAT to do to get my Pc to detect the MIDI and start recording!!!!!!

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks,

Adam

I have checked my out put and in put etc.... i am really stuck!
  2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

The midi out of the piano goes to the midi in of the card - you'll need a special adpaptor to convert the game port (D plug) to midi (a pair of 5 pin DIN plugs) but they're easy enough to find.

On the sequencer side, you need to tell the sequencer where your midi port/s are. For Cakewalk, this is in Options | Midi devices. You also need to set the properties for the track you are recording to (right click on the track and go to properties - setup as required).

Arm the track and start playing, you should see the little midi window (in the task bar) winking at you if midi is flying around.
  3. donnyboy

donnyboy New Member

The MIDI standards lack the synchronizing signals. There is no specific way for your PC to detect the start of a recording session.
  4. donnyboy

donnyboy New Member

Just start recording before the MIDI signals starts streaming. You will have to manually trim the recorded stream afterwards.
  5. Jonezy

Jonezy New Member

hello again,
    I have been checking and i have been advised to aquire a MPU-401 driver... IS this correct???
  6. Graeme

Graeme New Member

In a word - NO!

Although, there is probably one already installed on your computer, you certainly don't need it. Your SB Live card will have been supplied with suitable drivers and they should have been setup as the default drivers when you installed the software which came with the card.

With Win 98, you can check this by going to Start | Settings | Control Panel and double left click the Multimedia icon. Click the Devices tab and expand the 'Midi devices and Intruments' section. Make sure the SB Live! is listed there. Then click the Midi tab and check the 'Single Instrument' radio button is checked and either the a: or B: SB! Live Midi Synth is selected. THere's a similar set of commands for Win XP.