Help: Strumming Exercises?

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by eadgbe, Aug 7, 2004.

1. eadgbe

eadgbe New Member

well i just started playing guitar (on and off for about a year) and it's still hard to strum well. take for example: Dashboard Confessional - Hands Down. fast strumming up,down,up,down,up,down, etc while palm muting it. even with a soft pick, it's hard for me. i have an ovation celebrity. i dont know if this matters but im left handed playing a right-handed guitar. are there any strumming exercises that might help or is it just something that will come with time?
  2. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

I'm just trying to imagine starting out on a right-handed Ovation Celebrity and being left-handed. I suppose it all boils down to how determined you are and how much you love playing the instrument. I can't say I recommend starting out that way unless you don't have the money... If you can get your hands on a good guitar (good doesn't have to be expensive... ) you are comfortable with I believe you'll be more apt to enjoy yourself and stick with it. There are plenty of strumming exercises out there... look at some of the masters first of all... emulate them and get your hands on their music or sheet music and take it from there. Who are some good strummers?... Nick Drake, Pete Yorn, Willie Nelson, Billy Corgan (Jr. or Sr.), Bob Marley... there are quite a few out there depending on your preferred genre. For beginning strumming you can even go out and pick up a copy of a Mel Bay book for that matter.