Help Wanted

Discussion in 'Digital Audio & Recording' started by mab, Oct 25, 2002.

1. mab

mab New Member

Can anybody help me i have a 4 track demo cassette that we have made but i would like to mix it down onto CD. I dont have a clue about this subject so can anybody put me in the direction of somewhere in Scotland or even the whole UK that will do this for me and wont rip me off, i would be eternally grateful:confused: :bye:
  2. axeman

axeman New Member

Do you want to get someone else to mix it, or do you want to do it yourself? Doing it yourself will be cheaper but you will need access to a computer with a CD burner.
  3. mab

mab New Member

i would like to do it myself but i havent done anything like that before,i have a PC with a CD writer but how do you connect from the tape mixer to the PC. Failing that is there anybody out there who could mix it for me
  4. axeman

axeman New Member

I assume you have a portastudio which you've got the 4-track version on? There should be a line-out socket or sockets (if it's stereo, which it should be). You connect this to your PC's soundcard line-in socket. Then you need to get some recording software from somewhere, and get it installed. There are a few free ones around which will do the job.

Set the PC recording and play the 4 track back. Do your mixing as you go and you should end up with a WAV file that you can then burn to CD, assuming your happy with your mix). If you don't like the mix, just delete the file and remix again. It might take a while to get the mix you want but it's sooo cool when it finally comes together. That's the basic idea anyway. If you want me to ellaborate any further etc, just say. It's hard to give advice when I don't know the full situation, so just give me question and I'll answer as best I can.
  5. mab

mab New Member

Yes i do have a 4 track portastudio and there is line out sockets at the back.Regarding the sound card this is where my knowledge isnt good i havent added anything to the PC since i bought it and it says there is already a sound card installed do i need to change that or do i plug it into the socket marked line in on the PC
  6. axeman

axeman New Member

Ok. The fact that you have a line-in socket is a good sign. There should also be a line-out socket and possibly a microphone socket next to the line in. At any rate there should be two holes near it! This is definately your sound card, so plug the cable coming from the line-out on your portastudio in here. You may have to use an adapter for the plug (I have to).

Just because you actually have the sound card physically in place in your PC, doesn't necessarily mean that your PC knows it's there. Have you ever managed to get sound out of your PC? The easiest way is to put an audio CD in the machine and see if you can get it to play. If it does then you should be all set to go.

Is it a Windows machine? If so there should be a little icon of a speaker in the bottom right corner of the screen once you've booted up the computer. Double click this and you get a volume control menu. This is where you can control the volumes from the various sound sources on your PC.

Let me know if you've got this.
  7. mab

mab New Member

Yes i do have the little speaker icon and i have played audio CDs on it,my PC has Windows XP installed so once i connect the portastudio to the PC do i then run the recording programme that you spoke about and will i be able to download one from the net
  8. axeman

axeman New Member

Yeah, the next step is to get the recording software. I downloaded a free WAV recorder off the net but I can't remember for the life of me where I got it from. It was a while back. I still have the installation file if you want me to send it to you. It's a pretty naff program, especially when you have a slow computer like I have, but your machine should be OK. Failing that, you could try searching at google.
  9. mab

mab New Member

That would be great especially if it is an easy programme for me to start out on i will send you a personal message with my home e mail address you have been a great help to me axeman more power to your elbow