help! Yamaha QY300 controlling external gear

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by michaelroper, Oct 24, 2011.

1. michaelroper

michaelroper New Member

Well first off hi to everyone thanks for any help perhaps offered in advance.

My troubles are surrounding the Yamaha qy300 controlling a synth module (jp8080) and a drum machine (dr202) with whats seems to be a data delay when controlling these guys from the qy300 in loop mode.

I bought the qy second hand and had a play on it (on its own using the inbuilt tracks/sound generators), layed down some songs and allowed myself to get used to its ways. Anyway I set it up to control the external gear I mentioned, and successfully was laying down a simple little 4 bar sequence to get the hang on things.

so I had the qy300 set up with a little jp8080 riff and a little drum loop on the doctor groove, and tried to play this tiny little sequence on loop mode so i could just get my groove on etc etc.

What happened was, at the loop restart point, the external gear seemed to be struggling to rejoin. The external gear was synchronized and looping in unison but Kind of like it was a struggling to begin again *only* at the start of a new loop as the first beat was delayed for a few milliseconds.

Does anyone out there suspect its a midi data delay glitch? Because when I listened to the internal midi/audio tracks playing on the qy300, they were looping seamlessly.

I was kind of expecting to not have this kind of hassle whilst controlling only a couple of boxes from the qy. I wouldnt have bought it if I'd known that was the case.

Or is it something to do with midi settings or something?

Just for the record, I created the loop with an external keyboard hooked up to the qy, and then when I had recorded it as best I could I quantized it. The qy has its midi out to the midi in of the dr202, which then goes out to the midi in of the jp8080.

Thank you so much if you can help or for your concern...

-Michael
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. michaelroper

michaelroper New Member

I think i got it figured out. The Qy300 seems to loop the externals perfectly in pattern mode. Perhaps its some kind of bug relating to 'song mode' only? If so anyone else had this problemmo? Can it be solved? Thanks