Help!!!!

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by adamc260, Nov 17, 2003.

1. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

i have a technics sx-KN930, and as you may or may not know, they have floppy disk drives, i was trying some stuff out etc.... I copied a midi file i had on my PC to a floppy and see if it would load, and to my surprise it did... So then i thought hmmm... so i opened up the floppy on my pc copied the files to my pc and i double clicked them, windows media player opens, and it started playing, but with no sound... Anyone know why this is???

I would be really grateful

Adam
  2. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

It depends on how you have your MIDI devices configured in Control Panel. It's trying to play back what I assume is a MIDI file, but due to bank selection issues, or something else, is not making any sounds. Check your MIDI devices in control panel. If that looks okay, you could try opening the files in a sequencing program and make sure the channel patch assignments are renderable on whatever MIDI device you have defined in Control Panel. I hope this helps.
  3. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

yes and no lol.... i get what you mean, but kinda confused by what you said, if you get me ;p
  4. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

i tired opening it in vmidi something like that, and it just did the same :-S
  5. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

works in anvil studio, but ahh well, :)..... anvil is crap for recording tho!
  6. tammy

tammy New Member

hope i am not suggesting something obvious. are you sure your soundcard is not being used by something else already?
    t
  7. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

what could it be used by???????
  8. ZelRiptha

What do you see when you do this?

Control Panel->Sounds and Multimedia->Audio

What's displayed under MIDI Music Playback?

That should answer which MIDI device your media player is trying to access when you open a MIDI file.
  9. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

there is two, Microsoft GS Wabetable SW Synth and MPU-401, but the default device = Microsoft GS Wabetable SW Synth

Adam
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Here's a silly question, but you DO have your MIDI Synth volume turned up in the volume control panel, right?
  11. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

yes i do have it turned up lol, its on full!... its just the midi files from my keyboard, not anything else
  12. ZelRiptha

I'm thinking it's a patch assignment problem then. Did you check that the bank for each track is set to zero? If the MIDIs were created on a synth, the patches could have been saved in non-GM assignments. I'm running out of ideas otherwise...
  13. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

it had loadz of stuff on the floppy, want a screenshot, you might be able to figure a bit more out
  14. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

here you go, hope you can figure it out

Attached Files:

15. ZelRiptha

Hrm. I had a look at the SX-KN930 PDF manual (4.4MB), but that didn't help a lot. It looks like the only files that will have meaning in the PC world will be files saved with the .MID (SMF) extension. Have a look at page 89 of the manual and see if it sheds any light. You may need to copy the files into a directory on your hard drive and rename files you know to be MIDIs to have an extension of .MID. Hope any of this helps.
  16. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

if it ever loadz, my pc recently has given me nothing but greif.... grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  17. hahnbone

hahnbone New Member

I am looking for a manual for the sx-kn930

check your midi channels for the midi file and check what sound module your computer is using. I am looking for a copy of the manual for the sx-kn930.