Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by nec0, Jun 26, 2004.

1. nec0

nec0 New Member

hey,
    i have a musicstar keyboard by reveal and
    i would like to use it with either cakewalk home studio 2004 or native instruments (kompakt, battery etc) , but have no idea how????

by the way, im using a laptop, so i bought one of those gameports to usb adapters from radioshack which has four options to choose your device (game pad, joystick a, joystick b, and wheel)

do i have the proper equipment or am i missing something?

thx
    nec0
  2. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I do not know the musicstar keyboard but what you normally need is a midi to pc cable which has a gameport connection on one end which you can still plug in the joystick, and the other end is 2 midi cables that are round and look like the old 5 pin din cables in a half moon shape pin configuration. These say midi in and out which I think is from the computer end. If so then midi out is to the midi in of the keyboard. You set up the software on your laptop (like Cubase) and say input is from Midi in and output is Midi out. Set keyboard to receive midi with local on and anything in your sequencer will be played on your keyboard. You could have the output to the soundcard instead but it relies on the chip on the sound card unless you load some soundfonts samples of 4 or 8mb into the Creative Soundblaster card that is probably in the laptop. These give better sounds when played. Alternatively use a midi to usb box (Yamaha do one inc CD drivers) which has usb to a box and the box has midi leads out for connection to the keyboard.
    Hope this helps.