hey all newbie here. Want to create music files

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by krusader, Dec 10, 2004.

1. krusader

krusader New Member

hey eveyone i want to start creating midi files. Can anyone tell me where to start please. I think i will be needing a keyboard and a sequencer software or something like that. Thats about all i know and im even vague on these details. How much will they cost and where can i get them from the UK

All your help is very much appreciated thank u for ur time.
  2. Bladez26

Bladez26 New Member

Hey All, I want to start driving, I think I need a licence and a car, any ideas on how much it will cost and where to get them in Oz?

I don't mean to make fun of you, just illustrate that like driving midi creation is much the same, Cars are personal taste items and are also chosen keeping in mind what you want to do with the vehicle. Some people need a van or a utility, some a sports car, others a family sedan.
    Some people create midi's for phone ring tones, some for home karaoke singing, some for professional performance and others for the pure joy of creating their own original compositions

The same goes with sequencing software, what is it that you want to do, what genre, what level of quality are looking at achieving. What are your current skills in both music and computers.

Also sequencing software, like cars vary in price from $free to $thousands!!! (pounds in your case)

My advice, check out the music on this site, visit the original music forum, download some music, find something you like and talk to the people who created it, you'll find they are very helpfull.
  3. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

you'll find threads that encompass opinions on keyboards and software all over the board.

My opinion: START SOMEWHERE!

the keyboard you choose is only a "controller" in the end. The simplest thing compatible with your computer will get you started. Mine cost $49 (7-8 years ago?) I wanted Touch sensitive, full size keys... that's about it! OH! and it was bundled with software that got me started.... can't beat that!

If you're 'keyboard free' for the time being go to www.anvilstudio.com and download their free software. Open up a few files you like to see how they're constructed. Then get to Marks n Sparks or whatever discount store will sell you a cheapy keyboard and start creating. The coupla bucks you spend on the first one you get will allow you to decide is you need anythig "Fancy" (like if you're gonna use it live in clubs). I've decided that I need a new keyboard simply because my oldie requires a joystick post and I wanna go USB.
  4. hodiestoe

hodiestoe New Member

Can you use programmes such as cubasis and sibleius? I havew only ever used these for notation purposes.
  5. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

yes....

I believe both save in standard MIDI format ("midi format 0" in some programs), and both will accept input from a keyboard.

Simply choose a different track for each instrument you choose to add... I generally start with the bass line for covering pop stuff... start wherever my head is for originals. Open a file or two that you like in those programs and make heads and tails of it before you start on your own... its easier that way.
  6. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

7. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

Perhaps this would better be discussed it the "general sequencing" forum?
  8. Ralph'e'

Ralph'e' www.ralphe.tk

good spotin cybercat ;)
    ::moves thread::
  9. nick9045

nick9045 New Member

hey

that sounds awesome do you know if there is anyway that you could create midis with my grand paino that plays it self?
  10. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Does it have a 5-pin MIDI OUT jack? If so, then it very well should!
  11. ds ghst 07

ds ghst 07 New Member

Thats hard as hell...anyone know where there is a site that has the song and tells you how to make it or play it?
  12. G-man

G-man Prodigal Philanthropist

What's "hard" ds ghst? There are a number of methods of creating midi... depends on you as far as ease of use goes... and eventually any program you become proficient in will seem easy to you in time. You can input info by scanning sheet music, typing, playing, using a controller keyboard... just about any method you can conjure... there are also a number of trial and free programs out there too... try a few and see what you like... also check out our various threads on the topic and see what everybody likes and dislikes about specific programs...
  13. Zanarkand

Zanarkand New Member

For writing midis i usually use cakewalk, the only problem with my sequencer is that it REALLY sticks to the tempo, so if i am off by a 32nd note it marks that in the midi. In a way i guess that is good. But i really haven't gotten the hang of quantizing my music, so usually i just come up with something on the keyboad and then write it by hand in the cakewalk program.