how can i shorten the midi file..so i dont have a long song

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by rezaramon, Jan 26, 2004.

1. rezaramon

rezaramon New Member

2. JokerCPP

JokerCPP New Member

coding workshop converter
    coding workshop polyphonic wizard
    is what i use its not that bad :)
    theres others but i dont know em sorry
  3. alanbates

alanbates New Member

there are quite a few free/trial softwares out there than can help "chop" ur midi. of course, some talent required if not it'll end abrubtly :) i searched download.com quite a few.
  4. notdna

notdna New Member

Ringtone Converter

I use Ringtone Converter for this. It's possible to select an excerpt from a MIDI file, and save the excerpt as a separate file. It works quite well. Not event to event specific, but useful for getting a rough cut.
  5. AlexP

AlexP New Member

It seems you are a very beginner.

First of all you need basic music background. There are several books out there that may help you understand basic music. One of them is called "The Beginner's Guide to Understanding Music" by Richard Bell, Cathy Bell (Editor)

I personally use Cubase VST but this is mainly made for the proffessionals.

Thanks
    ----------
  6. HGI2001

HGI2001 New Member

use google and search for anvil studio. its freeware and a quite simple program.
  7. DACTYL

DACTYL New Member

you can edit a midifile any way you want to with any midi-sequencing program such as 'cakewalk' 'cubase' etc.Anvil studio is a good easy program.
  8. SidVonDagger

SidVonDagger New Member

put it into sibelius or overture and then you can chop it easily right down to the last hemidemibreve
  9. yukscck

yukscck New Member

y do u need to do that anyway? (shorten songs)
  10. SidVonDagger

SidVonDagger New Member

to make them 'ringtone' length

and most phones have a size limit on files.....
  11. jack3643

jack3643 New Member

all the responses are great....... assuming you know what the heck they're talking about. :D

Do you mean you have a song you would like to shorten (remove part of the song) or; do you have a file where the music finishes and the file keeps playing?

if the former is true...... try one of the freeware midi editing proggies..... and just delete the bits you don't want. (don't foget to save it as something else if you want to keep the original lol)

if the music is finished and the file keeps playing, there is obviously a midi event right at the end of the file. it might be something as simple as a "set volume to 0" command, but the file has to keep playing until all information in the file has been completed. if this command is 10 minutes away from the end of the song, it doens't matter as long as there is information remaing to be processed.

you'll have to edit the midi events (don't know if the freeware versions will allow you to do this) to remove the event. Once it's removed the song will finish at the end of the music (assuming there are no more events anywhere :D)

hope that's a little more informative :D
  12. Bazza-UK

Bazza-UK New Member

Relatively simple... open the file in a midi editor of your choice (i personally use cubase) and then strip off the parts you do not want using eraser etc... remember.. hit F1 within your chosen program for help on using its features.
  13. unquick

unquick New Member

use a compressor