How do I hook this up?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by Laravich, May 22, 2004.

1. Laravich

Laravich New Member

Hi-I'm a newbie so please forgive my ignorance.

I have a keyboard controller, a Roland 3080 rackmount midi module and an Audiophile USB interface to get the midi signal into my computer for Cakewalk. I can't figure out how to do the midi in/out/through hookups so that I can use the keyboard to play the 3080 into Cakewalk and then have Cakewalk play the 3080 back after I've recorded.

Can someone walk me through how to hook up the midi cables? Thank you so much for your help.
  2. alain

alain Guitarillo

3. musikman1

musikman1 New Member

> I have a keyboard controller, a Roland 3080 rackmount midi module and an Audiophile USB interface to get the midi signal into my computer for Cakewalk. I can't figure out how to do the midi in/out/through hookups so that I can use the keyboard to play the 3080 into Cakewalk and then have Cakewalk play the 3080 back after I've recorded.

Easy answer:

Keyboard MIDI OUT to Computer MIDI IN
    Computer MIDI OUT to Roland 3080 MIDI IN

Set your software port settings to allow Local echo.

Done.

There are a zillion variables that CAN get in the way. I personally use a hardware MIDI router for all my IN'S and OUT'S, so it's a different monster (one of my MIDI ROUTER settings is PIANO ONLY, that connects the Keyboard to the module and bypasses the computer completely when I just need a quick setup to practice).

BUT, this should work for you as a starting point to use the keyboad VIA Cakewalk to play the module.

Rick