How do you improve double bass pedal?

Discussion in 'Percussion' started by jeo, Dec 16, 2003.

1. jeo

jeo New Member

My feet couldn't stand it for less than 3 mins. Anyone got suggestions how to improve on the time and consistent of it?
  2. tavenger5

tavenger5 Mr Admin Guy Staff Member Admin

Try doing singles on both feet for a while and then build to quarter notes, sixteenths, etc.. Also, Check out the buddy rich book and try doing it with your feet. It'll build chops the same way it does with your hands.
  3. rus_21

rus_21 New Member

hmm u tryed using paddin or soemthing under the pedal to reduce the vibratios? that what i would do
  4. him

him New Member

double bass pedal

i started off playing a rythmn then adding double bass slowly building u speed. Also trying quick bursts of double pedal in fills such as left pedal, then right pedal, then left hand then right hand then repeat, and get faster. It pay be a problem if u play heel down. If u play heel up, situate the beaters closer to the bass drum head, so u control less reboud off the head, and tighten the chain or rubber mechanism on your pedal depending on which you have.

Overall thing is to just practice hours a day till its second nature
    practice makes perfect! :)
  5. jeo

jeo New Member

Ya. Whenever my feet start to feel crampy from double pedal i'll start to use heel up method. But i find it hard to control the sound..sometimes soft sometimes loud which i don't have much problem if i use heel down method. Anyway is heel up a proper drum technique?
  6. him

him New Member

yeah majority of people and pro's play heel up for most power and speed beacase you get a better rebound off the head cos the weight of your whole foot doesnt soak it up like it does when playing heel down. I used to play heel down for normal rythmn but since playing harder and faster, it really demands heel up. It sounds like you cant control it because u are getting to much rebound off the head. Try loosening your bass drum head to soak it up more, or tighten your peadl mecanism, and move the beater closer to the head. Hope this helps a bit.