How do you make a midi??

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by zpinmasta, Aug 26, 2002.

1. zpinmasta

zpinmasta New Member

How do you guys make midis?? What program? How do you do it? Just wondering... I'm interested in making them :)
  2. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

::moves to Sequencing and Setup Forum::
  3. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

I use cakewalk sonar 2.0

it's a long slow painstaking process...
    first you learn how to play the song (all parts) that you are trying to sequence.

Then I usully put the bass track down say 16 bars worth.
    then the drum track
    then any pads
    then any incidental bits.
    then move on to the next 16 bars.
    by the time you get to he end of the first verse chorus...it's one big cut and paste job ...maybe a few changes so that it doesn't sound like it is a cut and paste job.

THat's pretty much it.

Dave
  4. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

Theartisan, that's a good idea
    Boy, what a huge question. 2 ways : with a program that does the work for you, or with a program where you do all the work. Like lostdave said, long and painstaking the second way. When you've been doing it for a while(years) and you get to know the proggy you are using, it gets quicker. I can make an exact(or as close as) replica of the song in around six to eight hours.
    note by note by note etc, played in with a keyboard. I don't cut and paste, unfortunately once I start I'm like a dog with a bone and have to get it perfect.
    Then there's band in a box, or jammer, programs that give you a variety of bars of different beats, say, 24 different types of country rock bars, and you pick the one that sounds like the song you want to do, then add keys, sax, etc, put the bars together, change the key of each bar to follow the song, etc. Hope this helps
  5. Will Power

Will Power Member

Can this be done with cakewalk & a P.C. keyboard ? Or do I need a propre instrument?
  6. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

It ain't easy, may...

don't trashpost just to get to 5, the mod's'll getcha!!:thumbsup:
  7. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

I use cubase. Pretty much the same way as lostdave, but one step further. I learn each bar, instrument by instrument, playing it in with a keyboard, or using the mouse. I get as close a copy as I can from start to finish. Usually takes 5 to 6 hours, longer if there's a lot of guitar work
  8. Zeustopher

Zeustopher New Member

I also am going to try that!
  9. pgg3

pgg3 New Member

I use Sonar 2.2 XL but simpler programs will work. Some Workstations will allow you to sequence and export midi files as well.

I'm guessing that you already have a computer =-). Check your soundcard software - you may already have something to play with.
  10. Salty

Salty New Member

:eek:
    wow, there are so many ways to make midi, didn't know that
  11. xtremidi

xtremidi New Member

I was reading throught this thread and I am very interested in making MIDIs but find it difficult to make them of songs. You say that you listen to every instrument and every note and but them down one by one. How do you listen to just small parts of song. I know you can pause music players but these can skip a little and it all gets confusing. Do you use a special program for individual bars like cubase. And what file types do you listen for - wav or audio? :<
  12. sidney

sidney New Member

making midi is just recording music on a computer. It is very
    similar to recording music on a tape recorder, but every thing
    is done in ditigal not analog.
  13. iondubai

iondubai New Member

is there a program that has like a keyboard on the screen? i only play music by ear and i want to know is there is something i can use to make a midi file with a keyboard so that i can use it.
  14. paulpaul

paulpaul New Member

A good quick way to work out an arrangement of a track is to learn each part, then hum each part into a sequencer like Logic. Make sure that there is a loud start to each note when you sing or hum, and don't slur any notes. Then you can use Logic's "convert audio file to score" function. This will turn any audio file you select in the program into a midi file. This won't give you a performance quality midi file, but it should give you enough notes to either learn it and then play it in properly, or you can edit it with the mouse until it sounds good enough.
    This is a much quicker way of composing or transcribing than working everything out by ear. I also use this to turn guitar parts I've recorded into midi, to drive a synth or a sampler. I don't know which other programs support this way of working, but I use Logic Gold. Good luck!
  15. xtremidi

xtremidi New Member

Don't know if anyone is still reading these but here goes. I have heard it is possible to use Winamp to edit mp3's such as to change a song into a backing track by removing the main melody (or singer). Is this true? I am trying to make MIDI by ear but sometimes can't hear the backing very well. It's driving me insane. I can't hear the left hand piano or strings very well in some songs especially when there's about 10 things going on at once. Any suggestions. What I need is to slow the music down or turn of the singer. This happened accidently with headphones I had so it must be possible somehow.