How long have you been making midis?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by Normski, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Normski

Normski New Member

2. Graeme

Graeme New Member

For myself, ten years or so, although I've been recording other musicians midi's for much longer. If you want to hear some, go to my Soundclick page;

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/graemejayemusic.htm

Tracks 1, 3, 4 and 6 are all midi, the others have audio elements as well.
  3. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

4. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Thank you <blush>
  5. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Great stuff, Graeme! Nicely rendered and really fresh-sounding. :thumbsup:
  6. JackUK

JackUK New Member

Great work, flows great!

Myself, been making for a year :)
  7. Graeme

Graeme New Member

My goodness - I feel quite overwhelmed by this praise. Thank you, one and all.
  8. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

That's what you get for posting links on the board .
    Interesting web site also.
    Now, how do you make real money selling to the public?
  9. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Yeah - dangerous thing to do, I know :)

You mean the SoundClick site, or my business one?

If you mean 'how do I make money out of writing and playing music' the answer is I don't. I once did a 'buyout' deal on a tune I wrote which ended being used for some ad or other, but that's the only real money I have made from writing. I used to gig (only as a semi-pro) and that was lucrative at the time, but I haven't stood on a stage for about 20 years! At that time, I earned my living as a recording engineer - others did the hard work of writing and playing.

These days, music is only a hobby for me. I make my living doing audio restoration, selling machines to repair CD's and other equally boring things.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2003
  10. rknrne

rknrne Active Member

I think the soundclick one had a little bio on you.
    I'm not sure if it took me to your personal site through that.

I would like to get into recording & engineering, but I feel like I either have attention deficit disorder or one too many concussions to be able to delve into any manuals to get the equipment operating.
  11. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I can't imagine that the SoundClick site would take you to my business one - I'll have to check on that, since it's not suppoosed to. If you really want to see how I earn a living go to www.personal-cd.com . There's no music on the site, so don't go looking for any, although there are a couple of pics of the setup.

I got into the business by accident more than design - but it treated me reasonably well and I have no complaints.

In my day (Strewth! that makes me sound old) the normal route into recording was to start right at the bottom - making the tea - moving on to micing up, tape op, etc., etc., until someone was brave or stupid enough to let you engineer a session. At that point, your career was hanging on a couple or three hours work.

These days, there are schools and colleges who think they can teach you to engineer in a few weeks. I've seen some of the products of this system and generally, they seem to know what equipment does, but precious little idea of when and why they should use it and many of them couldn't engineer a session out of a wet paper bag.

Learning to use the equipment is only part of what you need and it takes years (literally) of experience before you really get good at it. Some musical knowledge is useful (though not essential, unless you are getting into classical or jazz work) and an eclectic taste in music is essential.

Working as an engineer is a bit like playing in a pit orchestra, you get to do a lot of things which aren't to your personal taste, but you still have to do the best job you can (and look as though you are enjoying it).
  12. Jimmygarn

Jimmygarn New Member

I've been around and about midi's for about five years, though I momentarily lost interest in them I have rediscovered the fact that they are quite nice, especially if you use them with software like Reason. (Reason sounds much better than I have ever been able to make SF2 sound).
  13. Kanix

Kanix New Member

I've been working with & on MIDIs since about 1998 or so, when I was 15. It went from being a way to kill time back then, to me getting a place in a Metallica tribute band as drum programmer last year. Woot.
  14. mental_c

mental_c New Member

I've started creating midi's about 8 years ago, when i bought my keyboard. The past few years I didn't use it anymore, my keyboard didn't work anymore. A few weeks ago I found it again, I repaired it. Since then I never stopped playing :)
  15. John23604

John23604 New Member

I started in 1994, always a Cakewalk fan. My first controller was a DX7 that now is worth absolutely nothing. It has been amazing seeing the transformation, the sounds we had back then would give me a headache today.
  16. John23604

John23604 New Member

Wow real talent there Graeme, I have always tried to jazz but it won't flow naturally, I admire people that have the gift.
  17. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Thank you for the compliment.

I would never consider myself as a jazz player, although I have this jazzy/latin leaning (as you may have noticed :) - a case of too many restaurant gigs in my youth). I am always amazed at the number of times I hear people say you can't do this sort of music using midi - it's really not that difficult, especially if you turn the quantisation off.
  18. spherehunter

spherehunter New Member

wow you all are very devoted... I one day wanna be like that.. if i can even make an artist's midi! :D
  19. songer

songer New Member

my husband has been making midi for a year... but he's been editing other people's midi for 6 years now... :D
  20. Master Jace

Master Jace New Member

Heh

Thats what I usually do. I edit MIDI files. Every once in a while I make one.