How Long have YOU been playing Guitar?

Discussion in 'Guitar' started by matthewsa1, Sep 11, 2002.

1. canuckm27

canuckm27 New Member

Been playing for about 3.5 years and I love it cannot get enough of my acoustic guitar.I got a girlfriend recently and the guitar has been getting neglected a bit but I think I will start neglecting the girlfriend more now that she has got most of my attention for the last little bit.
  2. SeamyD

SeamyD Member

Bass Player

I have been playing bass for 14 years, which is very SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I eventually managed the dream 2 years ago and bought my 6 string. My favourite players would be Geddy, Billy and Cliff on bass and Angus, James, Zack on GGGGGGGGtar.
  3. Balsara

Balsara New Member

6 months now. Flys by! Not that bad, can play all basic chords with an added bit of flair.

Main inspiration has come from the beatles and bowie, so far, however always been interested in chuck berry and hendrix.

Can't help but pick up the old mucker every time i see it. Getting a band together at the moment.

:cool:
  4. saltydogg

saltydogg New Member

hmm two years.. still lots more to learn'
  5. alycia

alycia New Member

about 6 months...
  6. The Big Q

The Big Q New Member

28 years.

Started off with classical training, then I discovered the blues.
  7. mikos

mikos New Member

8. ferris_monty

ferris_monty New Member

It's probably not so much about how long but more how long you have practiced in those years
  9. ferris_monty

ferris_monty New Member

I've been playing for about 15 years but am embarrassed to tell people that
  10. Jo-

Jo- Soopa Doopa

Nearly 25 years for me. After seeing Led Zep in concert in '79 I had to learn to play Stairway to Heaven so I sat down and picked it out. Main influences were Zep, Pink Floyd, Rush, Heart and Jethro Tull .. way back then. :D

I too, should be a lot better than I am. I just about 6 months ago started taking guitar lessons for the first time. The best bit of money I've probably spent.

I'm definitely addicted to guitars and suffer from GAS very badly, but I wouldn't change a thing!

Click my link below to see some of my guitars.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2004
  11. Strangehold

Strangehold New Member

When it comes to guitars I am a newbie, I started 1 year ago. I have a band Strangehold, we are just starting out, we are a basement band right now. We are going to be great! my influence is the great Hendrix. But i dont like his style, I will reinvent what he started and make it great.
    ryankoy
  12. kings_8_2

kings_8_2 New Member

Started to teach myself at about 10 , but gave up for a number of years. Started taking it a bit more seriously about 2 or 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Major influences on learning to play the guitar were the Scorpions and Metallica, although I still struggle to play a lot of their music !
  13. BazzerX

BazzerX New Member

Started on drums about 24 years ago at school, switched to guitar 20 years ago (cos the drums were inconvenient to practice properly in the house).

Switched to bass about 6 years ago in order to get into a gigging band (I'm still in the same band and now the only original memeber) and still dabble with guitar, the transition from guitar to bass was o.k. and I love the bass now.

Music is just the best hobby, as there is always loads of stuff to do and improve on.

Major influences are Jimi Hendrix and John Entwistle.

Cheerz.

Baz.
  14. guitarmik

guitarmik Member

been playing since i was 12 i'm now 40.I started playing when i saw a guy at school play a sunburst les paul he was playing zeppelin riffs,i fell in love with the look the sound and that beautiful les paul.I finally have my own les paul even though it took me 27 years to get my dream guitar.My first influence was ace frehley but as i grew older i discovered guys like jimmy page,paul kossoff,steve morse,satriani,vai and of course eddie van halen
  15. deadboy

deadboy Member

Ive been playing almost 13 years :( god its been that long ..........
  16. MarkB

MarkB New Member

Started 4 years ago, i needed an instrument for my Music course in school, and when i started playin i havnt lost interest or stopped for one minute!!
  17. lachrymotion

lachrymotion New Member

4 yrs...still not "good"
  18. MarkB

MarkB New Member

What do you mean by that, if you mean its not long enough to be classed as good, you mustn't know were your coming from!

If someone trys hard enough, after 4 years you could be unbelieveble!
  19. bigbaddave81

bigbaddave81 New Member

20. Catweazle

Catweazle New Member

I also should be a ot better than my 16 years of playing might suggest. Had some gaps in there. I got really good early and then got involved in "getting a haircut and getting a real job". I should have stayed playing all day.