How to connect a guitar to computer for midi sequencing?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by jeo, May 6, 2003.

1. jeo

jeo New Member

Hi Everyone
    I'm a guitar player so its kindda hard for me to sequence midi using keyboard. Is there any convertor or something that can connect a guitar to the computer. I'm using cakewalk software so must the convertor obey to certain specifications? Can any kind souls out there who can enlightened me on this?
    Thanks a million
  2. midiprog2000

midiprog2000 New Member

Hi jeo,

Yes, it is possible to convert the signal from your guitar to midi data. From then on you can use any sequencer you would like, or just play with your guitar on any synthesizer you have.

converting your guitar performance to midi requires:
    1) a pickup element, that you have to mount on your guitar (Roland has one: the GK-2A)
    2) an interface that converts the signals from the pickup to midi data (F.i. Roland GI-20, ...)

You may check the Roland website for more information, but I'm sure there are other brands too.

Kind regards,
    Alain
    www.mididesign.be
  3. paulpaul

paulpaul New Member

I've used a midi pickup guitar at college, for recording music coursework, and while it's fun at first to trigger synths and sound modules with a guitar (especially drum kits) you had to play really slowly and deliberately to get the notes to register. It kind of took away most of the expression of playing with a guitar, and I found it easier to learn to play the keyboard, and tidy up mistakes in the midi file later. This said, the set up (I think it was a Roland GK-something) was a couple of years old, and the speed and pitch recognition might have improved in newer models. I'd suggest to try before you commit, these setups can be expensive.
  4. stevie_bees

stevie_bees New Member

I have an old Shadow midi pickup somewhere that I used a couple of times. Good fun, but the delay could sometimes be annoying. I would presume that the newer stuff would have better tracking. You might want to look into Godin or Brian Moore guitars as they have midi systems built in, or maybe try the Roland Ready Strat. There are also a few guitar retailers who will fit midi pickups to your guitar so that they are not so obtrusive.
  5. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

I use a GK-2 with a GR-1 synth by Roland. It was very expensive when I first bought it (close to $2500 Canadian). It works great and the tracking is phenomenal. Now you can buy straight midi interfaces for guitars without the incredible cost. Check out Roland and Yamaha for more info. The old guitar synths had quite a long delay, but that has been fixed. Don't get anything older that a Roland GR-1 or GR-33. It's worth it.
  6. guitarderek

guitarderek Guest

I use a pickup produced by gvox (www.gvox.com) with my strat and it does the job. It can be somewhat tempremental to set up initially but once you play with it a bit it's OK for getting 99% of what you want down. Obviously it does not translate bends but I was rather impressed with the speed - not too much delay. Good Luck!
  7. wombatjelly

wombatjelly New Member

I'm a guitarist too. To get guitar into the computer, I use a Line 6 GuitarPort. Works for me.
  8. AKitten

AKitten New Member

9. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

Roland seems to be one of the best and most accurate for guitar, I work with the guitarist in the studio and it is very good. You can also use the Lion6 Guitar Port which seems to be good as well.
  10. Graeme

Graeme New Member

All these pitch to midi solutions are OK, but they're better suited to live work than recording, since they can tend to produce all sorts of funny glitches. You can get away with it live, but you could find yourself doing a lot of repair work with the editor in the studio. Another drawback of these systems is that they are inclined to send a lot of controller data and this can bog down the midi stream.

For the serious guitar player, there is only one really practical solution, the Ztar - www.starrlabs.com - but be prepared to break open the piggy bank, they run from $1,500 upwards!
  11. gdroad

gdroad New Member

Roalnd is always good. But for something inexpensive the GVOX system (if you can get one) is almost on parr and a fraction the cost - note that ou either need Windows 98 or XP for gvox as the drivers only work with 98. In XP set the program to be run using the window version dialogue box (allows you to use nonXP software!)