how to do convert a sound wav

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by dopgile_69, Nov 25, 2003.

1. dopgile_69

dopgile_69 New Member

how do you convert a sound wav into midi. I have a guy laughing that I want on midi.

joe
  2. frchung

frchung New Member

There have been many many threads posted here about this kind of conversion of WAV/MP3 to MIDI....

Conclusion -> don't waste your time, there's no good solutions yet available today, but the old fashion way, of doing it ourself.
  3. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Oh dearie me - it made me laugh anyway :) .

I suggest you get hold of a book and try to understand what midi is and does - then you'll understand what's so funny about the question.
  4. dshinka

dshinka New Member

Yes, thats right, midis are not like regular sound files that record any analog sound into a digital format, they are more like files that say play a note at a certain lengths durations on different tracks...

On basic midi sequencers, you will either enter music notes or play it on a keyboard and the computer will read that, so unless you can figure out how to play notes on a keyboard that resmebles laughter, then I do not think it could be done.
  5. titanicm14

titanicm14 New Member

What you can do is go onto yahoo.com and search for wave to midi. and I think there is this polyphonic software that you can use and it will help you pick out certain chords and melodies and you can kind of use it as guidance but they dont have really good ones out there and some companies will even trick you into purchasing the software and its not worth anything. I have tried about 4 of there ,, there are not that many,, You can only use them to get a basis . The software is not that good with distinguishing between a singers high note and a keyboards high note it has a problem with distinguishing.. it will merge stuff that doesnt need to be merged and then sometimes it has trouble keeping a beat so sometimes the midis come out too fast or too slow. if you have any q's I can answer feel free to pm me or uon1@pitt.edu and I will do my best...
  6. Graeme

Graeme New Member

This isn't going to help with the original question (which concerned a recording of someone laughing). However, on a broader base, you can not convert polyphionic audio to midi - and that's the end of it!
  7. linedpaper

linedpaper New Member

download a midi converter
  8. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Oh, for Heavens' sake....

THEY DON'T WORK WITH POLYPHONIC AUDIO.

HOW MANY TIMES DO WE HAVE TO SAY THIS, BEFORE THE MESSAGE GETS HOME?
  9. Zandro

Zandro New Member

I gave him only six points because tavenger5 removed the "out and out stupidity" warning level.
  10. vinsanity

vinsanity $¢®ëWëзµÞ

Graeme - dont even try anymore. they'll never learn
  11. Graeme

Graeme New Member

:hit: I know... but it is better to have tried and failed.... etc., etc.

It wouldn't be quite so bad, if there weren't about a dozen threads on the same question - all with pretty much the same answer.
  12. skooter

skooter New Member

They have Wav to midi converters!!!! Just do a search on lycos!!
  13. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Oh - for crying out loud - this has to be wind up Graeme week :) .

We know you can find loads of thse thing by searching the net. However, we also know they DON'T WORK ON POLYPHONIC AUDIO FILES.

Please read some of the other threads on this forum about this same subject. It has been done to death a dozen times and the answer is still the same.

If you are still convinced of the feasibility of the idea, then you are welcom to take up the challenge I issued in this thread - http://board.midibuddy.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79583&perpage=25&pagenumber=2 - fourth post down on that page.

So far, I've had zero takers - want to be the first to try?
  14. Zandro

Zandro New Member

Dude, I'd like you to take up Graeme's challenge. He is offering 100£ to anyone that can get a MIDI to sound like the original WAV with the use of any WAV>MID converter. Lemme know if you succeed. :laugh:
  15. Graeme

Graeme New Member

Just to clarify the challenge:

On my Soundclick page you'll find an MP3 of am instrumental track, called 'Strictly Me'.

You download this file and try turning it into a midi file. I still have all the original rendering information on my machine so, if I take your 'audio to midi' file and push it through the same rendering process, we should end up with exactly the same sounds, notes, patches, etc., etc.

Still want to try?
  16. vinsanity

vinsanity $¢®ëWëзµÞ

those of you who still dont believe here try it for yourself

download any mp3 u want from here
    http://www.midiringtones.com/ringtones/

keep in mind these are MP3s OF MIDIs!!! you would think the conversion would be simple wouldnt you?

now download WIDI the so-called "best wav-midi converter" there is
    http://www.widisoft.com/english/download.html

load up the mp3 of the poly ringtone into widi, hit convert and see what happens:hit: