How to improve the sound of a bad midi file?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by vidpro1, Oct 26, 2002.

1. vidpro1

vidpro1 New Member

Could someone point out a few basics on improving bad sounding midi files?. I also have a problem with using specialized banks
    on certain midi devices.

I have some XG devices I would like to utilize.

Thanks.

VP1
  2. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

Off the top of my head here are a few I've tried:

1. Vary the tempo a bit, especially in free-sounding passages - it keeps the tune from sounding mechanically precise.
    2. This may mot help if you've got a nice synth, but doubling parts with differing patches helps beef up the sound. You can also slide one part out a few ticks to give the sound some depth as well.
    3. If you're entering notes by hand (i.e., not playing them), avoid the all-velocities-the-same effect. It makes the tune sound stale and mechanical. Especially avoid setting volume to 127 and using high velocities on all notes - that just sounds bad.
    4. If you take the time to get your articulation right, whether you're playing or entering notes, the tune will seem much more alive (with percussion it's about timing - something I could work on myself).

That's enough off the top of my head - some further reading is available here:
    http://www.borg.com/~jglatt/tutr/miditutr.htm

About XG, you can do a lot with controllers and SYSX if you have the docs for your device. I haven't fully utilized my old Yamaha DB50XG, but look forward to having time to do so someday. :)
  3. Orpheus

Orpheus New Member

if the notes are all right, change banks - you must clear all "Programm change" messages.

then clear "Controll Change" Nr. 007, 091, 093 and 010; and adjust volume, pan and effect 1 and 2 send.

You can also change the default effect set to something different of your choice.

But if the notes are wrong - forget about it!