How to make a 486 work again

Discussion in 'Computers' started by E.T., Apr 27, 2004.

1. E.T.

E.T. New Member

I am reconfiguring a 486 computer and I've formatted the hard drive to eventually transfer all the information that's on my 286. Unfortunately, I made a mistake: I cannot access the C drive on the 486 anymore. :( What should I do? what can I do to remedy the situation? Thank you very much in advance.:)
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

If you have not changed any cableature in your computer, Consult your computer documentation for how to access your BIOS and check if your boot device order is first the floppy, then the CD or HD. While you are there, if there is a drive information page, check to see if the BIOS recognises if there is a hard disk drive attached to the compter.

Next, I would use a boot floppy disk (e.g. Win95/Win98 setup disk) to start the computer. The boot disk should contain FDISK, which will help you partition the disk if necessary. Are you planning to install an operating system on this drive, or will you just use it as a storage device?
  3. E.T.

E.T. New Member

Thank you

Thank you for helping me to resolve my problem. I did fdisk on the computer and loaded my old version of dos 5.0 and gained access to the c: drive.:p What I wanted to do is to install all the information that was on my 286 on my 486 because the hard drive on the 286 was starting to stall and the computer would already freeze on the boot-up sequence and the 486 was newer. I will eventually transfer all the music sequences on a pentium 4 but I will do it in a wave format instead of lugging all the clutter of a big rackmount, and I will control the rest of the rigg by midi. Again, Thank you...
  4. Zandro

Zandro New Member

OK, glad I could help. :)
  5. somnus

somnus New Member

so what is so awesome that you need to keep around a 486 to use it? (i'm not knockin old computers.. i've got a 286 as well ;-)
  6. Zandro

Zandro New Member

IMHO, if he's got something to do what he needs, and with acceptable requirements, why go and buy something else?