How to make MIDI sound good?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by mapha, Apr 6, 2004.

1. mapha

mapha New Member

I can't help but wondering how the professional make their music sound great from MIDI?

Eventhough i have a very good softsynth, the midi music still sound .... dull :( And there is no way of applying many effects (except for echo/delay and reverb) to the midi track. Do you convert each of the recorded midi tracks to audio tracks, and then apply the myriad of audio effects (ie: compression, EQ) to make it sound better?

I realise that live recording from real instruments can have effects applied while the instrument is being played. This means that the musician can hear the sound of the instrument already patched with effect as he/she is playing the instrument. Is there anyway this can be done with MIDI recording using a keyboard, a computer and softsynth?

(I use sonar 3 pro and Yamaha Softsynth)
  2. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

It really depends on how much time you spend on your midi. Find a great midifile and look at what tones the person is using, what parameters his controllers are, (all settings really) and really understanding how to compose music in general (accents, articulation, dynamics etc.)

Put it all together and you should find you can make most midis better than acceptable. Take your time and be very analytical.
  3. MacMan

MacMan Network Consultant

Wow. I didn't realize that MIDI's can be so complicated. :bow2:
  4. mapha

mapha New Member

Thank you very much for that reply. I will be listening and looking harder at the midi files. But you still leave me wondering can "good music" come purely from just MIDI? By "good music" i mean music that is of publishing standard. How important is audio effects such as compression and EQ in instrumental music (by this i exclude vocal), and when are effects employed? Do professional musician apply effect to their MIDI at all?

I have a good background of piano training. I also have a good electronic keyboard, a strong computer with good softsynth, the latest SoundForge and CakeWalk software. Now i'd like to compose/arrange "good music". Please tell me if i am equipped for the job? :p
  5. dueerboy83

dueerboy83 New Member

damn a lot of work does go into it
  6. Meee

Meee New Member

Hey, i use "Sonar 3 Producer Edition" and i found out dat when using the Dxi Insturments u can use the audio effects on dem 2!! just use the Effects Panel in the tracks Properties (on d left) and u can use all d sonar effects like Flange,Echo,Delay, etc! it makes MIDIs sound so cool, and its really fun! lol!

use the "Roland Virtual Sound Canvas" Dxi! has all the GM2 And GS Sounds!

if u hav any problems post back and ill show u a screenshot of were im tlkin bout!

Hope that helps!
    Mark
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2004
  7. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Do I use compression and such to midi?

Reverb and chorus are definately in there. I do use NRPN to adust the sounds (Mostly using it for a wah pedal effect). You can use controllers to modify any other effects if you desire ( I use controller 94 "variation" at times).

Just have fun. Don't feel the need to analyze every single aspect of midi. It will become a job rather than a hobby. I just was suggesting working on maybe one or two aspects of any given midi. After a while, you just will amass a great knowledge of midi.
  8. MOKDUDE

MOKDUDE New Member

what I do to make my midi sound good is use alot of chords

chords are your friend
  9. glazedfaith

glazedfaith New Member

chords fill out a song really well
  10. BrandonChand

BrandonChand New Member

I just use sound fonts...
  11. songer

songer New Member

We use Roland SoundCanvas 88Pro, 8850 & 8820 and the sound quality is really different from those "software" or sound cards... very different...
  12. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

Depends on the version of software you are using. I have a Yamaha MU90R tone generator and a Yamaha softsynth. Though they are not exactly the same with all the sounds, they are relatively close and frankly, it's close enough to count for me.

(I still prefer the external tone generator).