How to make midis?help

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by AngeLee, Feb 9, 2006.

1. AngeLee

AngeLee New Member

I've read a couple of threads & been to links... and it just confused me more :(
    My hubby's a keyboardist & he makes really good music, & I'd like to share some of these , but then I don't know how to start.. I'm the one who uses the computer a lot & he just basically uses his keyboard. To start with, basically what i have is a pc, a KORG X5D synth, it's driver & that's about it.How do i make midis with his keyboard & connected to my computer, what free software do i have to use?... I don't have a lot of time on the internet like i used to. please email me for answers & We'd be both happy to share his music.. Thanx! :love:
  2. jodymayfield

jodymayfield New Member

Try garage band if you have a mac. If not try Reason. You will need a midi to usb connector.
  3. Graeme

Graeme New Member

I'm not sure that midi is the way to go for your particular purpose. Midi isn't 'sound' - it's a set of instructions which tell a software (or hardware) sound module which notes to play. Thus, the actual sound of any midi stream is highly dependent on what is used to translate the midi data stream into sounds. What I'm trying to say is that whatever sounds your husband is getting from his Korg are not going to be the same sounds you will get from your computer (and in truth, the Korg will probably sound a lot better - unless you are prepared to part with a lot of money). If you really want to share what your husband is creating, you'd probably be better off recording the audio, direct out of the Korg.

That said, recording midi is not that difficult. You're unlikely to need a USB adaptor because, if you have a stock soundcard in your computer (SoundBlaster or something of that nature) which is the type most often bundled with machines, this already possesses a midi input. On most cards, it doubles as the game port (a 9 pin D) and if this is the case, you will need an adaptor from this to the 5 pin midi - but you can pick one of these up at any half-way decent computer store. You'll also need a standard midi lead to connect the Korg to the soundcard.

You will need some software - a midi recorder (or sequencer as it is more likely to be called) - and there are plenty of free ones around. One of the more popular here is Anvil Studio (www.anvilstudio.com) but there are many more, just do a search on 'freeware sequencers' - you'll get loads of hits.
  4. Graeme

Graeme New Member

If you are going to give advice, then I suggest you read the question properly first.

It's a PC and Reason is hardly 'free'! Why confuse the issue by talking about USB? It's not very likely this would be needed. As far as I can see the Korg doesn't even have a USB port - but it does have midi ports.
  5. AngeLee

AngeLee New Member

my hubby's keyboard that he used before to make midi music was a yamaha DGX300... all you have to do is play & it saves in a midi format.. his former band manager didn't returned it to him... now he's using a Korg X5D & it's hard when u don't have a midi/usb cable to connect to a pc