how to modify a midi

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by vonny, Jul 14, 2002.

1. vonny

vonny New Member

Hi, I,m new on these boards.
    I was just wondering if anyone can tell me how to take out the 'voice' in a midi(it always seems to sound silly).I mean the instrument which acts as if someone was singingto the tune....any advice?
  2. theARTiSAN

theARTiSAN Administrator Staff Member Super Mod

Use an application such as Cakewalk Pro, Sonar, Cubase (etc, etc, etc...) to edit midi files. You can add tracks, rework tracks and change attributes such as patches, panning and volume.
  3. dude404

dude404 New Member

Or use a software from visio soft thats the one i used. thats alot of software out there just search for it on a search engine hope that helps.
  4. Gordo

Gordo New Member

I have a relatively simple Roland EM-25 automatic keyboard. It plays accompaniment patterns in real time as well as having a floppy drive for midi playback. It actually has a "minus one" button which takes out the track of your choice on midi playback. Usually, this means the melody but it can also be set to take out the chord accompaniment or the drums, providing, of course, that the midi file is simple enough for it to identify these tracks. I have occasionally gotten a "too many tracks" error message but for the most part, it does a good job of taking out the lead melody.
  5. GusTraX

GusTraX New Member

But then you'll need to delete the track and save it again to disk to get that "voice" track wiped out.

The best option it will always be to open it on a Sequencer program -even the cheapest thing available to download- and mute/delete permanently the track.
  6. willi001

willi001 New Member

When I use a midi, I rarely ever delete anything off the file..I can mute any tracks that I don;t want playing.Sometimes you can use those cheesy sounding vocal tracks to sing in key with..And you can also change the sound to something else and use it as an accompniment to the vocals..or use it for a backing vocal....It's up to your imagination to see what you can do with it..
    Willi...
  7. Gandalf

Gandalf MIDI Sorcerer

Iagree. It's better to mute the melody rather than delete the track.

That way you can attach inbuilt lyrics to your MIDI file later if you need to.
  8. Gordo

Gordo New Member

Having said all that, and I hope Vonny is still tuned in, I do use a free download from Anvil Studio (www.anvilstudio.com) on occasion to remove a melody line from a duplicate I've made of a midi file. I keep the original intact but for performance purposes, I use the version with the melody deleted. Anvil Studio is free, not a demo. You can purchase accessories to expand audio capabilities but the basic midi applications are free. It's for Windows95+. I don't know how it would stack up against the big midi applications but I certainly was able to delete the track of my choice.
  9. johnpercyjr

johnpercyjr New Member

If you have a midi program that can in put controllers then put in controller 7 om the melody channel (1-16 usually) and set its value to 0. The data will still be there but it will be muted.
  10. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

I never delete vocal track either muting them always. You never know if you drop a song for a while from a set and ressurect it again 6 months later and you forget how the dam thing goes in that hard to get middle 8th.

Also if you turn down the tracks volume it may pop up again later in the sing turning itself up. has happened twice, bot did I feel like a twat.

Just hit the mute button.

Try this programme. It's free and easy to use.

www.jazzware.com
  11. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

Anvil Studio

Hey Gordo. Am downloading it as we speak. Always on the hunt for free and easy to use midi editing software. Will let you know how I get on.:thumbsup:
  12. Tumatarau

Tumatarau New Member

Cakewalk is perfect for it... I just play the song and mute tracks individually until the vocal goes away... then hit save... everytime i load it after that, the track is still muted but i can bring it back at any time... also you can put lyrics on that track and watch them with the notes so you can keep up with it
  13. the_angry_

the_angry_ New Member

I use Cakewalk a lot, I find it really easy to use and intuitive