HTML & Fonts

Discussion in 'Web Sites' started by §ereña, Jul 28, 2002.

1. §ereña

§ereña **The Original Sin**

Does anyone know if u can embed fonts into a HTML document. Is it possible, if so what is the tag?

many thnx

:cool:
  2. omniseus

omniseus New Member

If you mean to have the font downloaded as soon as the user visits the web-page then I don't think it would be possible.

If you mean to change the font (which I doubt) then you'll want the <font> tag (there are hundreds of tutorials).

As for work-arounds. If it's just a small piece of text you could always save it as an image, or offer the font to download (although it's unlikely to be a popular choice).

Unless it's vital to the page/site you're building I'd recommend Verdana as it's tried, tested, and looks good to boot :)
  3. koop

koop New Member

embeding fonts isn't a good idea beacuse of compatibilty issues. Your best bet is to use the basic web fonts.
  4. ade2055

ade2055 New Member

yes koop is right
  5. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

but omnesius has a point.... use any art or photo program to place your text - then create a '.gif' you can have any font you want that way..... as long as you stuck to basic colors and reasonably small pictures they load quickly enough
  6. §ereña

thnx 4 the advice guys much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Chivs

Chivs New Member

However images are limited if your site is dynamic and you may have a font that displays special symbols like musical notation but you don't want to keep creating images:

If your OK with CSS use this layout in your css style

@font-face {
    font-family: Goudy Stout;
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: 700;
    src: url(GOUDYST0.eot);}

reference it like normal in your HTML:

<font face="Goudy Stout">Serena</font>

The only snag is you have to create a .eot file using a piece of software called Microsoft WEFT (Web Embedding Fonts Tool) www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/default.htm?fname= &fsize= which looks at your website and adds all the fonts your currently using into this file (why not all?:( )

It sounds like a lot of work and hard.. but it's ok. It is microsoft specific though - I won't go into netscapes version zzZZ I've kipped myself

more info: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...uthor/dhtml/reference/properties/fontface.asp

Of course failing this I suggest you just plug your fingers straight into the mains and turn the power on - it has the same effect on your brain... :)
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2002
  8. §ereña

wow Chivs u really know ur stuff :thumbsup:

on second thoughts....maybe i should just go and stick my finger in the mains :D:D:D
  9. Chivs

Chivs New Member

lol

Thats what I did - anything to avoid Microsoft meltdown - besides who needs to read chinese when youve got english? :hit:
  10. §ereña

11. mikotheboss

mikotheboss New Member

12. §ereña

oh, thank u.....i had forgetten about this thread....i shall check it out :thumbsup: