I don't get it: Midi channels

Discussion in 'Sequencing Hardware' started by sublimo, Feb 25, 2003.

1. sublimo

sublimo New Member

Hi,
    I have a Korg i5s, that I recently connected to my computer.
    I use cubase software to record what I play on my computer.

Now, my keyboard is supposed to have 16 midi channels. Then why doesn't he play the notes that I send to the keyboard on midi channels 2 to 10. I've been reading my manual over and over, and I don't get it.
    What is the purpose of having 16 midi channels, if I can't send information on most of the channels!!!!!!
    I can record what I play on channel 1. And the keyboard plays it right. But if I want to play a different instrument on channel 2, that's impossible! He doesn't play it.
    It's driving me crazy.
    Any advice?
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2003
  2. Jack

Jack New Member

I am not sure what you want to do? Record on chanel one and then paly that channel and record another track or instrument sound on channel 2. or do you just want to record to a different track?
    I have not tried to record or play back yet, I use cakewalk, but it sounds to me like you don't have the set up right. When you record originally, before you start do you set up your software to record on that track ie 2-10 ( usually track 10 is your rythm or drums).
    I don't know if this will help or not,
    Good Luck
  3. Allistaire

Allistaire New Member

In Cubase control midi setup. If you selected the right midi out you're ok.
    In Korg, try to see if there's in global options a "Midi Local" and try to set it "off"
  4. jbeavon

jbeavon New Member

which version of cubase are you using, and on what platform, pc or mac?