i need help in midi sequencing

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by beerbelly, Sep 4, 2002.

1. beerbelly

beerbelly New Member

hey there.

i'm kinda new to this midi stuff and all. just wanted to know if anyone out there could help me.

i'm a guitarist and i'm having a hard time sequencing songs using a keyboard. is there any way that i can use my guitar to do sequencing.

i'm using cakewalk pro audio 9 and a yamaha PSR-540. but i'm no keyboard player so i'm really having a hard time. if any of you guys out there know of how i can use my guitar for sequencing, please advise me. TNX!!!
    Marty White likes this.
  2. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

you can use a guitar for sequencing, although I haven't done it, I use keys. I think you have to buy some sort of pickup for the guitar that converts the sound signal into midi. Check out the local music shops they should be able to tell you. I had a look at one a couple of years ago, guitar is timecomsuming when programming it as a midifile, the pickup and software was $250(australian) but it is probably cheaper now. Alternatively, try band in a box, or jammer, they are programs that give you heaps of bars of different styles that change randomly, you pick the style that suits the song you are doing, and change the keys of each bar, does the bass, keyboards, strings, for you. You end up with a complete song that sounds reasonably close to the one you want to program. hope this helps :):)
  3. beerbelly

beerbelly New Member

tnx

tnx merlin. i'll give it a go. but when you say time consuming, what do you mean?

isn't it just a plug and play kind of stuff. install the pickup then hook it up to the PC and then play away?

anyway, i'll try the other ones you recommended. tnx again.:thumbsup:
  4. bigbaddonwong

bigbaddonwong New Member

I don't know if this is of any help but.........

I don't know if this is of any help but, A friend of mine had bought a foot peddal a few years back....( I can't remember the make)...however it had all sorts of cool gadgets and effects on it.....One of which was a midi conversion thing on it.......(I seem to recall he was even able to control our lights with the peddal).....Anyways I was looking at the manual one day and it said something about being able to hook it up to your sequencer or computor........It was very cool....I don't know if he still has it or not (because we've since lost contact)......however If I hear from him I'll ask him about it......
  5. sheffers

sheffers New Member

6. beerbelly

beerbelly New Member

hey bigbaddonwong,

now that sounds really cool. if ever you find out what it is, email me at sisnotgood@yahoo.com.

btw, would you know if it would work on a classical guitar with a built in pickup? i'm using a YAMAHA CG-115E classical guitar.

anyway, tnx for the advice. i think i remember seeing a gadget like that. ROLAND GR-01 i think but i'm still checking it out.

tnx again. :thumbsup:
  7. midiaxe

midiaxe New Member

Beerbelly,

I use Roland GR-30 guitar synthesizer for midi recording using a guitar. Here is my midi guitar setup:

For guitar, I have Roland-Ready Strat (a fender strat with internal GK2-A pickup in it). The guitar has GK2A output (13-pin output) connected to Roland GR-30. Roland GR-30 converts the GK2A signal to midi. I can use the internal sound module of the gr-30 or connect the midi out of gr-30 to computer. I use Sonar for my midi sequencing. Hope this helps...

PS: What kind of beer do you drink? San Miguel Beer??

Another Pinoy,
    -MX
  8. beerbelly

beerbelly New Member

hey midiaxe,

i'll try that one. but is it possible to get a separate midi pickup for the guitar? if ever, would you know where i could get one?

yup, i drink san miguel! YUMMY!!! where are you based, btw?
  9. midiaxe

midiaxe New Member

Yes, you can get an external pickup. It's called Roland GK2AH divided pickup. It costs about $190 here in US (I'm in New York). Not sure if there's a Roland dealer in Phil. By the way, do you happen to have some opm midi files? I play with a 3-piece band and we use midi for backing tracks. Appreciate the help...

Thanks,
    -MX
  10. beerbelly

beerbelly New Member

i'll see what i can do about those opm midis.

about that ROLAND GK2AH, do i need a guitar synth for that or can i hook it up straight to my PC?
  11. The Keeper

The Keeper The Keeper

sorry beerbelly, what I meant was it is time consuming trying to make a midfile guitar sound like someone is actually playing it, it would be a lot quicker to actually create the midifile by playing it in with a guitar, i use a keyboard.
  12. midiaxe

midiaxe New Member

Beerbelly,

The Roland GK2AH is just a pickup. You still need a guitar synthesizer. I use Roland GR-30 for guitar synthesizer. The GK2A has volume pot, a 1/8 inch input for guitar input, a switch to change from GK2A pickup to a regular magnetic pickup or combine the two pickups and a GK2A output (13-pin output). The GK2A output of the GK2AH pickup goes to the GK2A input of GR-30. The GR-30 converts the GK2A signal to midi. You can then trigger the internal sound module of GR-30 or send the midi data to a computer by using the midi out of the GR-30.

-MX
  13. beerbelly

beerbelly New Member

got it

MX,

thanks for the info. and i thought i could find a cheaper alternative. shucks. anyway, thanks again dude! :thumbsup:
  14. Tumatarau

Tumatarau New Member

Be careful of the pedals with Midi on them... a lot of times it's simply so the instruments can converse with other intruments and not actually make any sound... i.e. I have a yamaha SPX-990 effects unit and it had midi on it, but the midi can only be used to change it's settings in a live situation