Ideas for cheering up?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ey yi yi, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

My best friend is ill and I have been trying to figure out a way to cheer her up. Problem is that she lives 2000 miles away. I'm running out of the few ideas I had that can be done from long distance. If I could I'd go visit but it's just not possible right now. Anyone got some suggestions?
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

Years ago I had a friend who went into the service and wasn't enjoying boot camp AT ALL! (It was that summer where the US NorthEast spent most of its time near the 100degreeFahrenheit mark let alone the deep South)... We could really only communicate by mail (didn't I say YEARS ago? The Commodore 64's and email? Not so good), but we did some cool communications:

#1... I'd decorate every envelope... usually just a pen and ink drawing... the best was a big-belly-ed flasher with his raincoat open and the address hanging on a sign that.. well... kept the envelope PG13... luckily her Sergeant had a sense of humor...

#2 It was an Olympic year and we devised a whole set of Olympics that could be played with a penny on a table... we sent the course materials in a series of letters (all paper) and her whole platoon got into the competition... it really helped her to make friends.... There was a high jump and all sorts of stuff... most of the activities resembled shuffleboard and tiddlywinks... but when you're bored you're bored (and I know bored lately :p)

#3. Y'know those paint-by-numbers things you did as a Kid? We devised a few that required only Pencil and Ink (because we didn't know if she could aquire colored pencils and keep them)... we'd send a new one or two every week... if you get some tracing paper they're easy to do to any picture... trace what you want, break it up into shapes (that disguise the original) and then copy on a copy machine to real paper... Your friend can probably use colored pencils so have fun...

#4. More than any of the silly activities I'm sure that your friend will be touched by the fact that you care enough to do SOMETHING for them.... Hey... why didn't I think of it earlier? Get him/her to join MIDIBuddy ;)!
  3. kim_eh

kim_eh Gratified

Very good idea Jeanie.

May I suggest burning a mix of songs she likes. I did that for a friend once when she had a fever, and it really helped her feel better.
  4. CyberCat

CyberCat Active Member

If you do get her to sign you up, make sure that you have her enter your name as the "Referer" that way you get recuter points. :D
  5. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

And of you drop her name by here we promise to pay special cheering up attention ;)...

I'm stuck home for the next <sigh> 4 months... all day... every day... I'm sure I could at least keep her company :D

How old is your friend by the way...
  6. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

Wow! You guys are great! Some really original ideas on here.

I rec'ed her to the site a couple of days ago. She hasn't joined yet, but does plan to.

She's having a really hard time right now though. To top everything off, she got laid off from her job yesterday. Now it's MASSIVE cheering up time.
  7. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

Sorry. Guess I should have answered that question. She's 30. Our birthdays are only 17 days apart and we were born in the same year. She's one of the most important people in my life and I don't know what I'd do with out her in it.
  8. Ey yi yi

Ey yi yi New Member

Ok, the ideas are all great but I still need more. Anyone?

I've started some of the mail ones (Thank You jeaniesing!), but we always send cards to each other instead of actual letters. Of course the cards are covered in writing, but it works well.
  9. angelfailed

angelfailed New Member

draw her a pretty picture... and mail it to her.. <3 id like it.. <3
  10. kim_eh

kim_eh Gratified

*Wonders where NapoleonD is... lol*