Improve midi quality

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by -=BLADE=-, Mar 6, 2004.

1. -=BLADE=-

-=BLADE=- Omnipotent Metal God

I don't understand how you can make midis better quality and sound more like real instruments. One of my friends said something about some kind of software but what's it called, how much does it cost and where can I get it?
  2. Justified

Justified New Member

MIDI files work by using the GM sounds on your soundcard. Usually the quality isn't that great.

What you can do is change the instruments that are used to play the MIDI file. I'd suggest Cubase, even though I prefer to use Reason.

With Cubase you can just load up the Universal Sound Module VST, which has all the GM sounds, and get all the MIDI tracks to output onto the VST.
  3. Meee

Meee New Member

2 inmprove the quality of midis iv used a program called touche,it ads certain "imperfections" d midi 2 make it sound more real!!
  4. -=BLADE=-

-=BLADE=- Omnipotent Metal God

5. Zandro

Zandro New Member

There are several software synthesisers available that use real instrument recordings. I build SoundFont banks, which require an EMU10Kx engine (SBLive!, Audigy) and even some software programs utilise them without the need of an sound card, such as Timidity++ and SynthFont. Most SoundFont banks are free to download (if you can find them anywhere) and many are, although sometimes not as well balanced, much more realistic than the 1, 2, 4, and 8 MB synths most people use today. For instance, I have a GM SoundFont bank entitled Fluid R3 GM/GS that was developed by Frank Wen, which totals 140MB and cost nothing!
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2004
  6. shaft99

shaft99 New Member

I like to mess with the velocities and the timings with certain notes (especially on drums) to give it a looser more groovier sound.
    You can also try using really strange or different sounds from your sound module. I found on my sound module, the tuba sounds really good as a bass guitar.