iPOD for pro use?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by danpri, Oct 26, 2004.

1. danpri

danpri New Member

Hey:)
    I'm asking ppl specifically using iPODs for use on-stage regularly
    a) Does it work well?
    b) Is it true you can download a free software sound module program from iTUNES after you buy an iPOD?

iThankyou, Dan.
  2. bungalowbill

bungalowbill New Member

the iPod would be ideal for playing backing tracks as audio files, but I'm pretty sure there's no way of using it as a sound module for MIDI files.
    You can store any files on it, just using it as a firewire (or USB2) hard drive. Can't think how it would play MIDI stuff, though.
  3. danpri

danpri New Member

I thought you could download a software sound module from iTunes.
  4. Rankinfile

Rankinfile Guardian Angel

I've used the iPod to play backing tracks on stage and it works great. Of course my backing tracks have all been recorded in mp3 format. The big drawback is having to stay with a pre-written set list as I like to take requests and move things around depending on the audience. I find that using a laptop with iTunes is a much easier and versatile solution. I still bring my iPod along though as a backup in case of HD failure. Never heard of a software sound module for use on the iPod although the Roland Sound Canvas works pretty well on the PC. Your best bet (although not cheap) would be to purchase an exterior sound module (like the Roland VX-2020) and trigger it via midi hookup to your computer. You could either do this live or record the output to mp3 format which can then be more easily manipulated for live purposes. If you have a Mac you can separate your midi files using a free program called 'Dent du Midi' and then import them into GarageBand and use the instrument sounds in GB. It works pretty good, especially if you have the added sounds from Jam Pack 1 installed. Hope some of this helps.
  5. danpri

danpri New Member

I see, much wisdom have you, to use Yoda speak, thanks.
  6. danpri

danpri New Member

Ok, so I bought an iPOD and I've got all my midis on it in MP3 form, here's hoping, :)
  7. deefa

deefa New Member

i use my wifes to transfer files between workstations and studios
    it's great for storage
  8. metfuel

metfuel New Member

As deefa said it would be great for storage and mobility between workstations. Using for colaborating with other musicians, but I think that using the ipod as something on stage would be very limiting. Now that the mac mini is out and costing only $500 i think getting that with a small portable screen and flexible keyboard would be more helpfull in the fact that you could mix things up and even record a live performance as you are even making the computer be the instrument.
  9. danpri

danpri New Member

Update: iPOD works well, no probs here for onstage use.
  10. metfuel

metfuel New Member

Can you explian how you used your ipod on stage I am interested to find out what you did.
  11. danpri

danpri New Member

I just go the headphone out to RCA 's, I've edited in a couple of extra bars on my files so I can hit the pause if need be.