Is it easy to compose songs on cakewalk?

Discussion in 'Sequencing Software' started by MalibuVi, Nov 4, 2003.

1. MalibuVi

MalibuVi New Member

Maybe its just me, I think its hard. I'm trying to compose a song and tried inserting the notes on cakewalk. Its very complicated. I' think i'm going to record the song on the keyboard to the computer. I was just wondering if there's an easier way.
  2. Zandro

Zandro New Member

It is difficult at first, but with most things, it gets easier with practice. Keep at it; and before you realise, you will be able to knock out a song every week.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  3. saxmidiman

saxmidiman Member

It's pretty time consuming to enter each note manually in any composing program. I'd use a keyboard to enter notes and then manually edit them after the recording is finished. I've even just tapped out the rhythm using only one or two chords, and then adjusted the chords later using the "event" window. Have fun.:hit:
  4. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

what i would like to know is, how people can get midi's so close to the real song. I use cubase at school, i put the main line of a song in.... Then how do you get the rest of the tune and all the instruments that fit with it... When i was younger i thought MIDI's were pathetic... But now i realise how much time and effort it takes to create one!
  5. rpalmer83

rpalmer83 New Member

try downloading OctaMED soundstudio from www.octamed.co.uk that is the easiest sequencer I've seen, you can also add WAV files into your sequences such as a vocal loop if you wish.
  6. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

will do, is it free?
  7. johnrowley

johnrowley Member

I think the octamed is a demo version. Looks interesting. I agree with saxmidiman, just put a basic drum track down, play it back and record your performance live into the computer by the keyboard, set quantise on and adjust after.
  8. Sheringham10

Sheringham10 New Member

depends on the song really.. for example if you want to compose some sort of pop song, obviously there are repeated parts.. so just do one part, then copy and paste, finally do the minor changes and other modifications on each part..
    btw dont ever try inserting the notes one by one unless u r very patient lol..
    my advice is to do the melody line first, then elaborate with the accompaniment and do the editing where necessary..
    I still use the method of inserting note by note btw :p
  9. adamc260

adamc260 New Member

how can you get it to sound SO much like the real song... How do you know all the instruments... Because in the end, most midi's are very close to the real song.
  10. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

It takes listening to the song over and over and over and over... and continuing to tweak your MIDI...

Here's a work in progress:

Rock Lobster by the B-52s. It's about 60% complete and is missing most of the main vocal line and the guitar jamming part at the end. But it's coming along well.

Just pick one you like and start putting it together, piece by piece. ;)
  11. Sheringham10

Sheringham10 New Member

yep... you have to listen sometimes like 20 times to make a part of 3 seconds.. :)
    The hardest challenge of all is to add the special digital effects where necessary after finishing the whole MIDI, like pitch bend and stuff like that..
  12. rpalmer83

rpalmer83 New Member

OctaMED soundstudio is a trial version but its fully save enabled for 30 days and im sure its quite easy to find a crack lying around somewhere, or you could just buy it as it isn't that expensive, infact IMO its a really powerful piece of software for the price.
  13. eldon & betty

eldon & betty New Member

programming using cakewalk

Yes, it takes a long time and a lot of patience to program a song note by note and each individual instrument, but as was said in one of the replies, I also program on my keyboard and transfer it to cakewalk and complete the editing from there. Practice, practice, practice.
  14. musixian

musixian New Member

I agree with most of the above posts, especially about how much time it takes. I know, as you're starting out, you're thinking "with all of these fancy/expensive programs out there, there MUST be a quicker way to make songs." In some senses, that's true: there's software out there that acts like those personal keyboards - start a pattern, pick a chord, and away you go - but after making 1 or two of your own, accurate, sequences, you'll be able to spot those "pattern" oriented sequences a mile away. And they'll p--- you off.