Is there a SIMPLE solution to this?

Discussion in 'General Sequencing' started by JOleg, May 30, 2006.

1. JOleg

JOleg New Member

Hi guys,

new here. First question would be, what is this pointless FAQ for? :
    http://board.midibuddy.net/misc.php?s=&action=faq

It has nothing but explanation of smilies in it :rolleyes: :?:

Second. I did a search on the forum and found two answers to my question, but they don't satisfy me (unfortunately).

The question is - how can I simply merge two or more premade MIDI files (in specific order) into one larger MIDI file without getting lost in those huge programs like cakewalk, cubase or whatever? I don't need no professional tool, I'm a musician (no I mean I am not a musican as in "I do it for the living", I just play in a band as a hobby), I use free Power Tab Editor to write down notes of my music. Since PTE is limited, it can't import one project into another, and editing of existing project files is complicated, so I tend to keep each riff in its own file even if all of them pertain to one song. But then I want to assemble all them into one track, how can I do that easily?? Like, make up a *list* of MIDI files, then press magic button and it merges them in the sequence they are listed in and outputs as a single MIDI file? Is there no simple way? If there isn't, maybe you could give me some specs on the midi file format and I would write the program myself, and of course released it as a freeware so others didn't have to buy full blown midi makers for this silly task? ;)

I would appreciate any and all help,
    Oleg
    Last edited: May 30, 2006
  2. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

The easiest programme I have found for this is here http://www.jazzware.com/zope

I have used this programme to put 2 different songs together. You can copy/paste from one song to another. You can have two songs open at the same time and simply copy the track from 1 into the other. It's a little complicated if you have varying tempos howver with a little playing around it's a very good programme. I've also used it to lenghten and shorten songs as well as getting rid of those crappy fades.

Hope that helps.
  3. JOleg

JOleg New Member

wow, thanks a lot! It seems it's just the thing I was looking for! Haven't tried merging yet but I do believe it will do the trick. And it also seems I can add drums to the tracks, no? Would be way cool if it could, cause unfortunately PTE does not support drums. But even if it doesn't, it's not a problem, my main concern was merging. Though, I've loaded up couple of my midis, and for some reason they sound differently than in PTE or WinAmp, in fact, they sound exactly the same in PTE and WinAmp, but not in this midi sequencer, I hope this is just some setting, albeit I've already tried chaging some to no avail (the difference is the bass score, each note is being muted for some reason, the same with guitars but not as bad)... if you have any clue I'd appreciate a hint.

Thanks again for this proggy!

P.S. I guess I'm lucky then because this new song I'm working on has the same tempo throughout the whole song, but then again, I was trying to stay within one tempo :smart:
    Last edited: May 30, 2006
  4. Ronny

Ronny Midi Mad Super Mod! Staff Member Super Mod

My advice is to play around with it. You can edit each individual note so if you're having trouble with the bass notes you can sort it out on a note by note basis. Also I used a number of programmes each one is good for some aspect. I use clef midi tracker (came installed on my pc, cam't find it on the net) for some things, Jazz for others.