Is there any music technology junkies out there?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nixta, Nov 17, 2002.

1. nixta

nixta New Member

I hope that I'm not the only one :assskake:
  2. jeaniesing

jeaniesing Super Moderator Staff Member Super Mod

I think we ALL are if we're here...... but edit and change that to "ARE there any ......." You're bringing out the educator in me ;)
  3. nixta

nixta New Member

Thanks for your reply, I was half asleep when I wrote the message (hehehehe).

If you get a chance, check out my profile, I just checked yours.

Now that's FREAKY!!
  4. jeaniesing

OoooOOoohhh - stick around, we'll have to celebrate together :)
  5. nixta

nixta New Member

Okies, I will..........what instrument(s) do you play/ teach?
  6. jeaniesing

Flute (Major in college), Horn, Trumpet, Euphonium and Soprano (drum and bugle corps) are all instruments that I've performed extensively on.... a little piano a little harp

I teach mostly vocal but lotsa flutes and pretty much anything but beginner clarinets are on my list.... I do have my limits ;) How about you??
  7. nixta

nixta New Member

Wow, your so talented, so many instruments!!

I'm just a boring old piano/keyboard teacher, who also teaches a couple of rock bands, and records his own electronic music in his studio @ home usually by myself or with other musicians (eg: female singers, guitarists - what ever the songs require)

I betcha, that I have more students than you though *nixta pokes his tongue at you* hehehe
  8. jeaniesing

Yeah..... real boring!!!! Wellllll - since I teach in the public school system (HAH you didn't put any limits on it!!!) abou 260 students pass under my tutelage every day!!!!!!

:flips hair and puts nose in the air:
  9. nixta

nixta New Member

Yeah, that's fair enough................but I have 75 private students at $50/hour ummmmmmm what does that work out to in a week?

Bottom line............There's more money in private tuition ;)

nixta flicks his short hair and puts his nose in the air - hehehe
  10. jeaniesing

:calculates:

:drops nose:

:mumbles: to each his own :mumbles:

You ARE in the right place..... if you're in the 25-35 range your description fits about 3 other Aussie guys on the boards :) So lets hear s'mof your work?? Pretty please?

:continues battle: but.. but... but... I have more MIDIBuddy $ than you, and I live in a pretty green house and have a cool dog!
  11. nixta

nixta New Member

I'm turning 24 at the end of this year.

and yes I am jealous you have more MIDIbuddy $ than me........

I just recently recorded a chill-out track that's a cross between ATB (guitar bending), Fragma and Robert Miles (piano riff). I think you'll like the song alot - it's a song you would listen to while your at the beach at dusk with friends.

It's on CD, however I can convert it to MP3, but I dont know how I can send it to you. Wait.......I know......... it'll take about a week or so.......I'll give you the web address when it's up and running.

The majority of my students are 5-14 years old, and I teach them all the songs from the radio, we record, play along to midis, have fun on the computer using different music programs etc. I try and give them all a "Total musical Experience".
  12. ZelRiptha

ZelRiptha Thnow White but I drifted Staff Member Super Mod

I tend to see MIDI from a programmer's point of view, since that's my profession. Bits and bytes are natural to me, but some musical concepts come harder. Thanks to the help of many folks on this board (*smile*), that's improving every day. :)

*deftly dodges the financial showdown*

:p

(Dont' forget AU $$ are worth about $.50 US, J. :) )
  13. jeaniesing

AHA :Nose back in air: And I have a rich husband!
  14. lostdave

lostdave 'EVIL' Mod

LOL.......what is this?? A Financial Slugging Match???

Sheesh kids....put your bank balances away!!!!

ANYWAY..back on topic......
    I am a Music toy jukie FREAK....

Anything that has to do with music production, sound reinforcement...I gotta have it....to the point where My home studio is fast becoming a studio..
    I could Hire out half the PA gear i own and still have enuf to do 90% of my shows...TOYS are a way of life for me....

Dave
  15. nixta

nixta New Member

I agree...........So DAVE what equipment do you have?
  16. jeaniesing

Okay.... so my hubby isn't all that rich..... and I wanna hear about your toys too! :p
  17. nixta

nixta New Member

My toys.......okies

My studio comprises of :

2 computers (PC desktop and iBook laptop) for sequencing and audio applications.

Software: I have lots of software programs probably around 20, but I really only use Cubase VST 32, Reason version 2.0, Dynamo and Digital Performer.

3 keyboards and a yamaha upright piano:
    -Ensoniq ASR88 (Sampler/Workstation) - very rare keyboard
    -Roland JP-8000 (Analgoue/Digital Synthesizer)
    -Novation K-station (2 Octave synth - awesome lead synth)

All sequencing and audio recording are done through the computers, so I use 2x MOTU 828 interfaces (16in and 16out)- it allows me to record acoustic instruments such vocals, guitars even live bands :) etc.

That's pretty much it!!

They way of the future with music has been heading towards software rather than hardware because the cost factor, with software and PCs being so cheap and easy to obtain. Anyone and Everyone can make music. For example, I think it's Frogg007 he has only really starting recording mp3 files this year and he has been only doing midi since 1998 and he's a natural, he's got some real talent. Check out his link to his songs on his profile.
  18. kcsbos

kcsbos New Member

Damn. I want some of that stuff. I have 1 synth and 2 pianos (1 real 1 digital). Maybe I shoulda kept teaching too, though for a measely 8 bucks a lesson, yep now I know why I got a real job